This protocol describes how to use the Smolke Lab dishwasher located in 242A Spalding (the glass washroom).
- rinsed plastic or glass ware
- powdered dishwashing detergent (located above dishwasher)
- liquid neutralizing reagent (located above dishwasher)
- bleach (located in glass washroom)
- acetic acid (located in glass washroom)
- Load the dishwasher with glass or plastic ware that has been rinsed. Note, for best results run loads with only glass ware or only plastic ware due to differences in wash cycles.
- Add powdered detergent to the cup in the door. Note, you shoule only fill one of the two cups approximately one quarter of the way full. Close the lid on the detergent cup holder.
- Close the dishwasher door and lock the door in place by switching the latch.
- Select a run cycle appropriate for the material in the dishwasher by pressing the select button. Recommended setting for glass ware is: High heat glass. Recommended setting for plastic ware is: Low heat plastic.
- With the selected wash cycle showing hit the start button to run the cycle.
- Once the cycle is completed, switch the latch, open the door, and unload the clean material in the dishwasher.
- The neutralizing solution does not have to be (and should not be) added before each run. The reservoir for the neutralizing solution is filled (approximately every 15-20 cycles or so) by removing the lid on the reservoir (turn the lid and remove it). Filling the reservoir slowly and in increments with the neutralizing solution. You will know that the reservoir is filled when it no longer drains into the reservoir. Replace the lid and turn into place. -CDS
- You may notice build up of soap scum inside the dishwasher or on the glass ware. To minimize soap scum build up make sure to use the recommended amount of detergent in each run (see protocol above). To remove soap scum from glass ware or the inside of the dishwasher perform the following. Load glass ware as indicated above but do not add detergent to the cup holder. Start the wash cycle; however, just as the dishwasher begins wash1 stop the cycle by opening up the dishwasher door. Then add 240 ml of bleach and 30 ml of acetic acid to the water in the dishwasher at this stage of the cycle. Close the dishwasher door and turn the latch. The cycle will start up from the point you stopped it by opening the door - you should not hit start at this point. Let the wash cycle run to completion and continue with protocol indicated above. -CDS
- You can stop a cycle at any time by opening the door. When you reclose the door it will start back up again from where it left off. If you want to cancel a cycle in mid-run you need to hit the cancel button.