Silver: Bacterial Transformation
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
- Thaw competent cells (TOP10 from Invitrogen) on ice.
- Place 10-15 µL cells in pre-chilled Eppendorf tubes.
- Add 2 µL BioBrick vector (either native or ligated; so that vector is ~10-20% of the final volume), and chill on ice for 30 min.
- Do not pipet or vortex.
- Heat shock at 42 °C for 30 s.
- Incubate on ice for 2 min.
- Add 170 µL SOC medium (~10 x volume; Invitrogen), and shake at 37 °C for 15 min for Amp selection, or 30 min for Kan selection.
- Add all media to a selectable marker LB plate. Use glass beads to streak the plate.
- Incubate at 37 °C. Transformants should appear within 12 hrs.