Shipment on dry ice
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
2-5 kg (5-10 lb) per 24h shipment period
amount of dry ice lost depends on
- insulation and tightness of container (get a big stryofoam box or professional container)
- ambient temperature (summer > winter shipment)
- ambient pressure (air > land shipment)
- Dry ice is solid CO2 which, in addition to the possibility of cold burns, is the reason it requires a dangerous goods sticker for shipment.
- It's sublimation temperature is 78ºC. Biological samples shipped directly on dry ice will be just above this temperature. The temperature can be increased for liquid samples by separating the dry ice from the sample with gel packs.