Salomon Garcia Valencia Week 3
Week 3 Entry
What are the certain aspects that I know about the HIV virus?
- I know that HIV virus attacks the functions of the immune system. It is acquired sexually. It is a virus that can't be destroyed. There are ways to control some of the symptoms of the disease by treating it with certain drugs, but it doesn't assure that the symptoms won't comeback in a later time. Other than the basic issues related to the HIV virus such as in the case of health there aren't any other specific things that I know about the virus. I also know that people who have this disease are able to live a healthy life with no problems or symptoms as is the case of a famous basketball player. I also know that there are many studies gong on to try to find a way to cure this disease but at the moment not one exists.
- How did it arise?
- What are the current treatments against the virus?
- Are there any other viruses that have risen from the HIV virus?
- In the first portion it's to familiarize with the website this is done by looking and reading the "Bioinformatics for Dummies Book" and entering the site name which is www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez
screen looks like this:
- Then after this I typed in my search which was HIV virus and the search came out I clicked on one of the links and an abstract came up which looked something like this:
- After this I found an article that seemed interesting and it followed certain things that I was looking for it had an abstract and a tab at the bottom of the abstract where it takes you to a page with the full text in pdf format:
These were the articles that were acquired from PubMed