Picking Colonies (4/6) based on S. Boyarskiy's protocol:
- Materials needed
- 5mL (Note: that's milli, not µ) pipette -- in the JCA lab, this can be found in cabinets in rear of room. Return after use.
- Use LB with antibiotic necessary for your experiment (Spec in our case for toxR plasmids)
- 1 test tube, labeled
- 1 bunsen burner (to sterilize pipette tip before drawing 5mL of antibiotic-LB, tube cap)
- Do NOT breach the Z-axis of the burner's flame when grabbing materials on bench top/counter space.
- toothpick to pick colony.
- Tips for picking colonies
- Pick an average colony (Not the biggest or smallest).
- Make sure it is not in contact with any other colonies.
- After putting 5mL of antibiotic-LB mixture into tube, lightly press toothpick into selected colony and drop into test tube.
- Incubating picked colony in Warm Room (448A Stanley)
- Turn off shaker before placing tube into rack.
- Make sure to turn the shaker back on before you leave, don't F other's experiments up.
- Turn light to room off after you are done. (On wall in hallway)