Physics307L F08:People/Martin/Poisson Statistics
Poisson Statistics Summary
- link to my lab notebook F08:People/Martin/Notebook/071121 poisson notebook
- Link to last years not so helpful lab manual lab manual
- To learn about the not so popular cousin of the Gaussian Distribution, the Poisson Distribution.
- To look at random cosmic radiation events and see how events with random interval times between occurances make up the Poisson Distribution.
Results and disscussion
- From a purely visual inspection of the data it appears that almost every histogram graph matches the Poisson distribution except the 800 ms, 1 sec and 2 sec dwell times, these appear to me to fit the gaussian distribution better then the Poisson. As the dwell times increase the data should appear to grow closer to the Gaussian distribution, the previous analysis of the data makes sense.
- I think that our lab was a success, the data we took matched the predicted Poisson distribution fairly well. I learned more then I knew before about the Poisson Distribution and graphing on excel.