Moore Notes 10 27 14
Group Call: Jonathan, Katie, Ladan, Sarah, Patrick, Stephen, Josh, Stacia
- Next calls: Nov 10, Dec 1
- Who wants to present?
- Josh: Beta diversity project slides
- Diversity linked to ecosystem stability, ecosystem function
- Hypothesis: diversity linked to incidence of threatened species
- Diversity metrics
- JE: what about time lags?
- Beta-diversity is a function of perimeter and area of ranges
- JE: are there outliers and what causes them?
- Range properties are linked to incidence of threatened species, so hypothesis is true
- What could we do with marine microbe data?
- What issues does the incomplete sampling of metagenomic sequencing introduce?
- Data sets of microbial extinctions (diseases show it can happen in theory, also obligate endosymbionts of hosts that go extinct)
- But HGT may cancel out the concept of species extinction