Matt Gethers/CRI, Thailand/Project Ideas
- The Fuangthong lab has done some work characterizing transcriptional regulators (I think) that are responsive to iron. It would be interesting to see if you could swap sensitivity/activator specificities (i.e. respond to hyperoxide rather than iron, but activate the same genes as Iron). This would be a considerably involved project, I think, but it would certainly be interesting scientificallly and it would generate some parts to add to the registry.
- Fuangthong M, Sallabhan R, Atichartpongkul S, Rangkadilok N, Sriprang R, Satayavivad J, and Mongkolsuk S. The omlA gene is involved in multidrug resistance and its expression is inhibited by coumarins in Xanthomonas campestris pv. phaseoli. Arch Microbiol. 2008 Mar;189(3):211-8. DOI:10.1007/s00203-007-0310-1 |
- Fuangthong M and Helmann JD. Recognition of DNA by three ferric uptake regulator (Fur) homologs in Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 2003 Nov;185(21):6348-57.
- Hong M, Fuangthong M, Helmann JD, and Brennan RG. Structure of an OhrR-ohrA operator complex reveals the DNA binding mechanism of the MarR family. Mol Cell. 2005 Oct 7;20(1):131-41. DOI:10.1016/j.molcel.2005.09.013 |
- Newberry KJ, Fuangthong M, Panmanee W, Mongkolsuk S, and Brennan RG. Structural mechanism of organic hydroperoxide induction of the transcription regulator OhrR. Mol Cell. 2007 Nov 30;28(4):652-64. DOI:10.1016/j.molcel.2007.09.016 |
- Soonsanga S, Fuangthong M, and Helmann JD. Mutational analysis of active site residues essential for sensing of organic hydroperoxides by Bacillus subtilis OhrR. J Bacteriol. 2007 Oct;189(19):7069-76. DOI:10.1128/JB.00879-07 |
- Yin S, Fuangthong M, Laratta WP, and Shapleigh JP. Use of a green fluorescent protein-based reporter fusion for detection of nitric oxide produced by denitrifiers. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003 Jul;69(7):3938-44.