- 2010-2013, Postdoc, Evolutionary Ecology, Indiana University
- 2009, Ph.D. Evolutionary Genetics, University of Oregon
- 2004, B.S. Biology, Indiana University
I love answering (or attempting to answer) cool questions with data. And as much as I love results that provide those answers, I might enjoy designing experiments even more. I also enjoy teaching and actively learning alongside my students. You can learn much more about me by reading the rest of this page and exploring the lab website if you're interested.
SCIENCE AND FAITH
I am an evolutionary biologist and a follower of Jesus. I chose evolutionary biology (and specifically experimental evolution) as a field of study to get a firsthand look at the process of evolution as part of a personal search for truth. After almost 10 years of research, I am continually fascinated by, and an ardent proponent of, evolution and its comprehensive ability to explain the diversity of life on Earth. My quest for truth through the study of evolution has only served to strengthen my faith and allowed me to experience intellectual and spiritual freedom by embracing both faith and science as integral components in my life.
Given my faith and my love of science, it should be no surprise that I have a keen interest in the creation/evolution debate currently ongoing in the United States. I believe that Intelligent Design and certain forms of Creationism threaten to undermine the scientific integrity of science classrooms across the country, while also marginalizing and sabotaging religious faith. I am particularly interested in making science and the scientific method accessible, comprehensible, and nonthreatening to faith-based groups in an effort to preserve scientific integrity and reconcile the fact of evolution with the choice to have faith in the supernatural.
I am profoundly interested in the relationship between science and faith. It is one of my favorite discussion points, so please feel free to email me with your thoughts or comments. I truly enjoy civil discussion and hearing different points of view.
ORGANIZATIONS I SUPPORT
- Society for the Study of Evolution is a great group of evolutionary biologists that promotes research and collaboration in evolutionary biology.
- National Center for Science Education is an organization that advocates for the inclusion of evolution and exclusion of nonscientific "origins" theories in public school science curricula.
- Heifer International is an organization that helps people around the world break cycles of poverty through means that bolster their communities and families.
- Indianapolis Colts I love football!
- Oakland Athletics I like baseball.
- Bluffton High School Football My good friend is the head coach of this team on the rise.
- WTTS Fm 92.3 From Dylan to Marley to Dave, they play great music.
- Carbon Leaf Great band everyone should check out!
- Mat Kearney Excellent musician and great performer!
- Star Wars Uncut I'm a fan of the original 3.
I like cheeseburgers, burritos, and subs more than anyone really should. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Cornucopia- Best burgers in Eugene, OR...and perhaps the world!
- Laughing Planet Cafe - Great burritos in Eugene and Bloomington!
- Dagwood's- Awesome subs in B-Town! I highly recommend the Dagwood Supreme.
- Raging Burrito is one of my Atlanta/Decatur GA. favorites.
- Atlanta bbq is pretty awesome. So far I am digging DBA and Pig 'n' Chik.
COLLABORATORS IN LIFE