From OpenWetWare
Jump to navigationJump to search



The ECoG section of the wiki details the infrastructure we have in place around ECoG research. There you can find documentation for our recon and patient info database and guidelines for recording.


Recording rooms

Barker 135 contains several rooms for recording EEG. To book one of these rooms through Google Calendars, follow the instructions here.


The EEG section of the wiki includes documentation for some of the equipment in Barker 135.

Lesion patients

Our lesion patient cohorts are managed by Donatella Scabini. Contact her to coordinate a lesion patient study. Reconstructions of lesions are done by Richard Jimenez. Contact him directly to acquire lesion recons.


Contacting the lab

The lab phone number is 510-643-9744. This number rings in 210E and 210A2.

One of several viable mailing addresses for the lab is:

Knight Lab, Rm. 210
University of California
132 Barker Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-3190

Keycard access

Forms for keycard access must be signed by Bob Knight. Forms can be downloaded here and also downloaded on the forms page of the Helen Wills website.

Hard key access

There is one copy of each key to the pods in our lab in the lockbox by the entry door. Ask someone in the lab for the lockbox code. If the box jams, there is a screwdriver or other small metal object on the cabinet which can be used to reset the lockbox.

Wiki access

Members looking to obtain wiki access should obtain their wiki user ID number from the User List and email it to the lab manager Richard Jimenez. Said lab manager will then add them to the wiki.

CalNet Guest Accounts

For collaborators who are not a part of UC Berkeley, we can now create guest accounts by sponsoring them. This account will provide very limited access, but will allow collaborators to view the wiki. If someone needs a guest account, please email [[Richard Jimenez] with the first name, last name, and email address of the person who needs the account


Reimbursement for general purchases including Travel and Entertainment (aka dinners) goes through BearBuy. see #Purchasing

All lab members are responsible for their own reimbursement.

Forms for travel reimbursements are on the Campus Shared Services page

If you are in need of a reimbursement and are no longer part of UC Berkeley, you need to sign up as a vendor to receive a check or electronic fund transfer. To receive check you can find the form here. To receive an electronic fund transfer, more information can be found on the EFT Authorization Instructions Page and the form can be found here

Hiring RAs

Job Postings

Services researchers may use to solicit undergraduate research assistants include:

  • Berkeley Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program
    • Recruit RAs with the experience that you are looking for (ie scripting/coding background).
    • Post projects under Bob's name. This can be done twice per year (for spring or fall term). To do so, you need Bob's personal URAP link (no login/password needed) that allows you to post. The program organizer (see below) provides this link.
      • Stefanie Ebeling
  • Berkeley Career Center
  • Email postings to undergraduate departments:

Hiring For Pay

Undergraduate research assistants can be hired for pay or course credit. Currently our contact for hiring Students is Eleanor Keck. Contact her for more information on hiring students for pay.

Our contact for general hiring inquiries (as in Staff or Post Docs) is Sila Maria Alvarenga

Hiring For Course Credit

For students with course load quotas, course credit may be preferable to pay. This can be especially useful to meet unit requirements over the summer. To hire a student for course credit, the student must work with a counselor in Cog Sci, Psych, or another appropriate department to enroll in a 99/199 course. The counselor will provide forms (which requires Bob's approval) to set up the course and will then create a CCN for the student to add the course. The standard for units is 3 hours of work per week per unit.

Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships

link to SURF here.

Facilities & Office Equipment


This is kept in 210B when not being used. Its sole use is for Children's ECoG recordings.

Scanning, Copying and Faxing

The Lexmark CX410de is up and running. Copying with it should be straightforward. Instructions for scanning to a USB can be found on the Lexmark CX410de page.

Faxing can be done on the machine in Donatella Scabini's office, but there isn't a fax in 210. The Lexmark CX410de is capable of faxing, but it would need a separate phone line. Maybe someone will set that up someday!


Documentation & how to connect to the printer: Lexmark X544.


We have a paper shredder as well as a CD shredder.


We have 3 lab webcams that are compatible with both Macs and Windows machines. They are named Winkin, Blinkin, and Nod, and live in 210E when they are not being used.

Currently, Chris Holdgraf has Winkin, Kira has Nod, and Blinkin is unused. (Please update this wiki page if you take the webcams. Thanks!)


The custodial staff is primarily responsible for emptying the trash and recycling bins. A vacuum is available in the copy room for cleaning out your pod, and there are cleaning wipes under the kitchen sink.

Trash and recycling

Trash and recycling bins are emptied regularly by the custodial staff. Large recycling items such as cardboard boxes should be broken down and stacked against the wall outside of 210. Alternately, there is an outdoor area, just outside of the Barker Storeroom with large gated dumpsters. The key code for the gates is 12354.

Disposing of University property

When disposing of university computers or other hardware that has a UC Property Number (look for a sticker), contact RES to report that you are disposing of the unit. Computers, office equipment, and other large waste can be picked up by Central Distribution. Call them and order a disposal bin which they will drop off and pick up again, and which will fill the hall for as long as you have it, so it's best to have a backlog of equipment first. Also, all machines that have had human subjects data on them should be wiped with DBAN before disposal.

Current Supplies

This list represents what lives on the metal shelves by the entrance to the lab:

  • Tools
    • Right next to the metal shelves are two brief cases that contain an odd and general assortment of tools
    • There is also in the lower left hand area of the shelves: soldering iron, level, clamps, oscilloscope, DB calibrator, and a universal meter
  • Equipment
    • There exists a fair amount of electrical odds and ends that when successfully put together can form your own EEG electrodes etc. (This is located on the bottom left hand shelf)
    • Equipment in the lower left hand shelves are: Condensor Microphone, tripod, Camera, and 3 EEG passive caps
    • Equipment in the shelves on the right side are: projector, scanner, keyboards, mice, blank DVDs, scale, surge protector, cabling (audio, power, and connectivity), and printer cartridges
  • Supplies
    • In the top right most area of the shelves there lives general office supplies that included: manila folders, folders, pads, tape etc.


There are now a few projectors that can be used around the lab. Read more details on the Lab Projectors page.

Monitor Cables

Currently stored in a clearly marked box by the front doors near the other office supplies. Inventory (as of 4/3/12):

  • Cables (6ft)
  • Adapters/Converters
  • Other unique/odd monitor cables
    • 2 port usb KVM switch: 2
    • F->F Y-Splitter high density (59 pin) DVI to (2) Female DVI-I: 1
    • DVI-D->DVI-I (converter): 1

Email Richard Jimenez lest you require more visual connectivity

Cable/port/HD/everything that has ever been used since the 90s port look up chart! Media:ports.jpg


The mail room is in 16 Barker Hall (on the ground floor). The room is unlocked during business hours, so anyone can go pick up the mail.

Conference Room

To book Barker 210K and the conference rooms in Li Ka Shing, email Natalie Terranova (Berkeley Neuroscience Manager).


Contact Richard Jimenez to make internet purchases. For certain items, Berkeley has specialized purchasing systems. See below for documentation on these.


  • BearBuy is now used for reimbursement for general purchases as well as for making purchases
  • To log in to BearBuy, go to
  • If the above link does not take you to a screen where you can log in, try the following:
  1. Go to
  2. Click on login in top left corner
  3. Click on 'Buying' in top left corner
  4. Click on BearBuy in top left corner

BearBuy Reimbursement not including travel or entertainment

  1. After logging in, go to Forms > Organization Forms > Payment Request Form
    • Submit only one request form per cart. You can put lots of things on one form.
  2. Enter an invoice number. For this, you can use the number on your receipt or invoice.
  3. For reimbursements, the supplier is you. Try putting your last name in the supplier box, you might be there. If not, enter your information in the Suggested Supplier fields underneath.
  4. Enter the items and prices
  5. Activity type is Reimbursement
  6. Add your scanned receipt as an attachment and written permission from Bob (this can also simply be an email from Bob approving the purchase).
    • Be sure that the receipt is marked as paid with the last four digits of the credit card used.
  7. When you're done, at the top-right of the page, you can click Add and go to cart
  8. Assign the cart to Richard Jimenez when completed. Be sure that all forms are signed and filled out completely.
  9. Lab Manager: Let BearBuy know that this should be directed to the reimbursement people instead of the purchasing people. To do this, click on View Cart Details in the top-right of the page. Then click on summary under Requisition. Then edit the General box and put in RESR for the description. RESR should be in all caps.
  10. Lab Manager: Enter the accounting information for the cart. See Chart Strings for information.
    • The ORG NODE for the lab is EUNEU

BearBuy Reimbursement for travel or entertainment

Travel and entertainment reimbursement now have to be submitted through Bear Buy.

For travel

The travel reimbursement form and receipts need to be submitted. To do so, log in to the Bear Buy Home Page.

  1. At the center of the page under the tab where it says "Shop Everything", "Go to" , click "forms".
  2. When the window appears, click Campus Shared Services, View Form.
  3. Complete the following fields:

Traveler or Host Name, email, choose travel reimbursement, enter a brief description of the purpose, estimated amount and attach appropriate attachment (the travel reimbursement form and receipts).

For entertainment

The entertainment reimbursement form and receipts need to be submitted. To do so, log in to the Bear Buy Home Page.

  1. At the center of the page under the tab where it says "Shop Everything", "Go to" , click "forms".
  2. When the window appears, click Campus Shared Services, View Form.
  3. Complete the following fields:

Traveler or Host Name, email, choose entertainment, enter a brief description of the purpose, estimated amount and attach appropriate attachment (the entertainment reimbursement request form and receipts).

BearBuy Purchasing

  • Tips:
    • To place a non-catalog bluCard order with NewEgg or Amazon, please use the Non-Catalog Form - you'll find this under Forms. This has fields for the suggested supplier name where you can enter the actual supplier name.
    • Check this page for an Example Bearbuy Purchase

Computing and electronics supplies

To order computing equipment directly from Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony or Xerox, use Bearbuy to browse and select your purchases. Save the quote or shopping cart, and assign the cart to Richard Jimenez to have you items reviewed for purchase. See Example Bearbuy Purchase for more info.

Ordering software and licenses

Richard Jimenez is in charge of ordering software licenses. Richard Jiemenez can order from CDWG, or place a purchase order directly with the software company. This process usually takes at least a few days. Lab members may also purchase software directly and seek reimbursement.

UC Berkeley also has campus wide licenses for several software packages (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Matlab, etc.), and these can be downloaded directly. See Software Central for a complete list of available programs and how to download them.

For most neuroscience-specific software, see our lab's Software page which documents licenses we own.

Office supplies

Many office supplies can be purchased from the Barker Storeroom on the garage level next to the elevators. Signature Authorization for purchasing items in the storeroom can be obtained by filling out the signature authorization form on the Storeroom's form website. Berkeley has a discount purchasing contract with Office Max and Office Depot as well. Clay can place an RES order for any of these vendors.


See Travel Reimbursement for information on purchasing flights to conferences

Other Lab-Related Purchases

  • Log in to BearBuy
    • If you are not sure which form is most appropriate, go to "What form should I use?" under Bearably Training (on left column)
  • Go to "forms"
  • Go to "Organization Forms" (on left column)
  • Click open "Payment Request Form".


Network access

Accessing the internet via ethernet should be plug-and-play for most ethernet ports in the lab. If an ethernet port is not activated, contact our sysadmin to activate it.

Airbears2 wireless is available to users with CalNet accounts.

Remote Access

All new ethernet connections will be DHCP and have dynamic IP addresses.

Mailing Lists

See Mailing Lists for a run down of relevant mailing lists and how to add yourself.

HWNI Cluster

The HWNI cluster is a remotely accessible Linux cluster available for general computing and analysis. HWNI Cluster documentation

ECoG on the HWNI Cluster

The Knight lab's shared ECoG data is housed on the HWNI cluster at /home/knight/ecog. Documentation for using these files is on the wiki at HWNI Cluster Filesystem. For general access to these files, you must have a cluster account and be a member of the cluster user group "ecog". To become a member of this group, contact our sysadmin. If you are connecting to the ecog folder use SSHFS Manager How to connect to the cluster using SSHFS.


If you cannot find a journal article, you can:

Chat with a librarian