Kartzinel:Brown and Prov
Jump to navigationJump to search
What follows is info on visiting and seeking housing in Providence contributed by BRPB in June 2020; it will be lightly and haphazardly updated.
- People use Brown's official off-campus housing site (https://www.brown.edu/offices/real-estate/off-campus-listings) or Craigslist.
- There is a graduate student listserv where people advertise housing, but it's sporadic. Late spring/early summer is a good time start looking because there are a lot of ads out there.
- Most near-campus leases start June 1st; that is not to say you cant get something earlier or later.
- Regarding where to live, most graduate students live @ Fox point, Wickenden, Benefit, College-hill, Wayland Square or off Hope St. Most of these places are 15 mins walking from school--depending on how far down Hope St you go.
- More often postdocs, lab managers, etc. live in Blackstone, Hope Village, Federal Hill, or Pawtucket. These places are further away from campus -- requires bus or driving -- but they are generally cheaper, nicer and more spacious.
- Side note: Something that has been confusing to many people about the neighborhoods is that many are on the East Side of Providence, but the East Side is different from "East Providence" -- the latter being across the bridge towards Seekonk, MA.