Practical 3: A Mystery Circuit
This is the third and last practical of your introduction into computer modelling for synthetic biology.
The first practical was designed to give you an insight into:
- the notion of limiting step
- the law of mass action and its application
- the dymamics of possibly the most important class of reactions in biochemistry: enzymatic reactions
The second practical introduced you to the standard models for genetic expression:
- constitutive gene expression
- inducible gene expression
After these two practicals, you could be forgiven for thinking that genetic circuits always behave in a nice, predictable manner.
As this final tutorial will show you, new behaviours emerge when genes interact with each other in a non-linear fashion. And these new behaviours do not require many genes to appear...