Induces transcription from promoters regulated by LacI repressor.
Molecular weight is 238.31 g/mol. The chemical formula is here.
- Dissolve 1g in 4196 μL deionized water to make 1M solution.
- Filter sterilize with syringe and 0.22μm filter
- Dissolve 238 mg IPTG (sigma I-6758) in 10 ml DW for (100mM stock)
- store in 1 ml aliquotes at -20°C
Generally a 1mM solution is an effective amount to induce the pLac promoter region. It should be noted that this may vary over cell strains. For example:
- lacIq: cell strains which overproduce LacI repressor (ie. E. coli cell strain type D1210, aka. BBa_V1003)
For including IPTG in LB agar plates, a typical amount people recommend is 0.1-0.5mM IPTG.