IGEM Outreach:Life in the Lab
<a href="?action=edit">Edit this page</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach"><img src="http://openwetware.org/images/5/5d/OutreachbannerGreen_2.jpg" width="750px"></img></a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach">Home</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:About">About</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:Activities">Activities</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:Lesson Plans">Lesson Plans</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:Multimedia">Multimedia</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:FAQ">FAQ</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:Contact">Contact</a>
<a href="/wiki/iGEM Outreach:Links">Links</a>
<html><center> <p><a href="http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12374331/so-you-want-to-be-an-igemer" target="_new" style="font-size: 20px;font-weight:bold;">So you want to be an iGEMer</a><br /> by: <a href="http://www.xtranormal.com/profile/6854547" style="" target="_new">Ayjchan</a></p><iframe id="xtranormal_So you want to be an iGEMer" name="xtranormal_So you want to be an iGEMer" style="width:480px;height:299px;" src="http://www.xtranormal.com/xtraplayr/12374331/so-you-want-to-be-an-igemer" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" border="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto"></iframe></br></br></center></html>
Mentoring Young Scientists
- British Columbia iGEM 2011
- <html><a href="http://2011.igem.org/wiki/images/a/ad/TeamBritishColumbiasGuidetoStartaHigh-schooliGEMteam.pdf">Complementary rubics for facilitating the start of a high school iGEM team</a></html>
- Select High school students in the Future Science Leaders Program at Science World
<html><center><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NYzCGL2D2WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center></html>
- Give a fifteen minute presentation about iGEM, synthetic biology, our project and what future opportunities they could have with iGEM
- Lead the activity where the students are given a troublesome environmental situation in which synthetic biology could be used to help! Possible parts are given and the students must create a suitable plasmid of reasonable size to solve the problem. More details about the activity here
- An invitation to join our 2012 iGEM project or to form their own high school iGEM team
- We anticipate that relationships will be formed and fostered so that we can be a mentor to these future science leaders
British Columbia iGEM 2011
- The presentation went very well. The students were engaged and responsive. They really enjoyed the videos and they asked thoughtful questions afterward.
- The plasmid activity was a good opportunity to problem solve with the kids and allowed for more dialogue about the topic of synthetic biology
- Students were receptive to future involvement with iGEM and our information was given so that there can be a continual relationship. Individual students also sought out to be mentored by a team member.
- It was a very positive experience and we hope to not only be involved next year but look forward to growth in the relationships already forming.
- We are thankful to Dr. Catherine Anderson, Program Manager of Future Science Leaders for the opportunity to take part in this innovative program.