IGEM:Virginia 2012/Protocols/Phage Replication Rate Assay
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
Below is the procedure for measuring the rate of replication of a phage inside a certain organism. The bacteriophage and the organism are cultured together, and samples are taken and titered at 0, 3, and 6 hours.
- Liquid LB medium
- Bacterial culture
- Phage suspension
- Take 1 mL from the bacterial culture and add it to ~20 mL of liquid LB medium.
- Add phage suspension to the bacterial culture.
- Take a 500 μl sample and put it in the 4 degree fridge.
- Put the bacteria/phage mixture in the incubator.
- Take 500 μl samples and put them in the 4 degree fridge after 3 hours and 6 hours.
- For each of the three samples, isolate the phage.
- For each of the three samples, perform a plaque assay to determine the phage titer.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- Who has experience with this protocol?
or instead, discuss this protocol.