Sunday 19th July 2009
Phase 1- Compound/threshold/detection
- List of specifications
- List spec
- Pros and cons of each method
Phase 3- Killing strategy/gene deletion
- List spec
- Mechanism:Double mechanism-fail safe
- Sensing environment vs. timer
Phase 4- Storage
- Short term vs. longterm
Phase 5- Delivery
- Pros and cons
Research strategy suggestions
- What is your interest?
- Main stream press
- Motivation: Search for current problems?
- Find genes and compounds they code for
- Interesting molecules
Sunday 19th July
- Apply to framework
Monday 20th July 10am
- Go through everything
- Assign key roles
- Get details of what we are doing by the end of the day
Tuesday 21st July 2009
Presentation Session Feedback
Need a project overview
Presentation does not follow the engineering process
- need 2-3 slides focusing on this
- there is a real problem/real emotional message to get across
- is a novel application!
Focus on one application with the method being compatible to other applications
Need details of the enzyme
- where it works
- where the conversion occurs etc.
What is the recommendation per module?!
- Need a summary after each
- Have the PKU pathway
How to trigger encapsulation process?
How feasible is the killing strategy?
Which track are we aiming to enter?
How close is this to previous projects?
Need something that actually works with results
- killing strategy
Match the thresholds and sensitivities
- can be done
- use GFP reporter with an optical read out?
Produce 2 chassis/cells?
Explore module, get genes, find existing bacillus/E.coli chassis, one with a good coat formation and one that can produce the drug.
Create new self encapsulation module
Take out the biological pathway and place in Bacillus
Make sure it’s quality controlled before consumption
Be brutal in testing the risk for each module
Try to order parts ASAP
- waiting time should not be a limiting factor
Come on a lot since Friday
- got bones of a good project
- like idea of modules
Write a high level specification page (case study almost?!)
Look at an E.coli apoptotic mechanism
- there is one
What about the proteases?!
- Use protein deficient strain?
Still a lot of yes/no points we need to sort out
Deadline for BioBrick design: Friday
- Prof & Advisor:
What is the critical path in the project?
Amalyse, protease, lipase deficiency?
Enzyme deficiencies in the gut
Need the pros and cons of different applications
- where are they on they wiki?
- convince what you want to pick is feasible/efficient
- what are the mechanisms (existing)
- why do we need the enzyme?
- regulation, control, how does it know what/how much to make?
- give details, details, details!