We are in Week 8 of the iGEM project
<calendar> name=IGEM:IMPERIAL/2007/Calendar date = 2007/08/01 view=threemonths format=%name/%year-%month-%day weekstart=7 </calendar>
Debrief (Meeting with Professor Kitney)
- This application is a big leap forward for the medical field.
- If we perfect this application, we will be able to put it on every catheter.
- Think about the packaging of the system
- Does the in vitro system really give us the edge over the applications in the field of synthetic biology?
- How do we add LuxR (packaging)
- For the Jamboree presentation, take the audience through the research and application process step by step to make it easily digstible
In the lab
- Carry out this experiment in vivo and observe the edge it has over the in vitro application
- Is the DNA construc complicated enough?
- Define visible- DsRed Express and GFP; change the conditions ofobservation of the fluorescence produced
- How sensitive is the system?
- How long can the system bestored at e.g.4oC before usage?
- Problem with detection of low [AHL]
- How long can the system last? Can we optimize it?
- How stable is the fluorescent molecules?
- How robust is the system? e.g. temperature dependance, pressure dependant
Cell By Date
- Clarify experimental concept, and link it to meat spoilage
- Emphasize of DsRed Express as the reporter
- Think about the packaging of the product e.g. sticker form? in the cling film?
- Might have to look for another application other than meat spoilage , if construct does not fit the temperature range well
In the lab
- Place the device in a real scenario and observe how it works
- Find out the lag time of the system i.e. how long would DsRed Express take to reach visible threshold
- Construct does notfit the temperature range very well
- Look into cryophilic bacteria, which has the appropriate cellular machinery to generate proteins at the temperature range of 0oC -5oC
- Look at improving the sensitivity (lag time) of the system
- Look into making new construct for pT7 as a biobrick from the current version we have so that we can swap bricks around later
- It is a new chassis
- If the pores used are toxic, should they be placed on the catheter?
- For the presentation, link this with the 2 applications
- Want to see the engineering cycle implemented into our project
- It is not essential to the main project, but serves as "icing on the cake"
- Less manpower should be devoted to it (reduce from 3 members)
In the lab
- It is very hard to calibrate fluoresence withinthe vesicle; if solution used is differet, vesicles would also behave differently
- It serves to increase the lifespan of the CBD application, but a strict control must be imposed on the quality
- How do the 2 projects (applications) link together?
- Implement the engineerng cycle
- Sherlock Holmes theme is a good selling idea