Getting started on the microscope
This is tutorial (in development) for getting started on the microscope.
How to sign up for the scope
- We have a Google calendar for scope usage:
How to turn on the scope
(order doesn't matter)
- Turn on FL lamp
- takes 2 minutes to warm up
- takes 30 minutes to cool down (so don't start again in <30 min)
- Turn on transmitted light lamp
- Turn on scope (switch is on back left of the base)
- Turn on Ludl Box (controls shutters)
- Turn on camera
How do I find my cells?
I don't see anything in the eyepiece
- The optical path is not pointing to the eyepiece, you can change it on the control pad.
The fine focus knob doesn't move the turret
Two possible problems:
- (more likely) You have turned on the fine focus knob which is seperate from the base. Only one can control the turret at a given time, turn off the satellite knob.
- The z-stage is too low (<0 position as read from control pad) or too high (>6000? need to check this.). Turn the scope off and on and you should be OK.