Barry Canton - Gel room Czar
EtBr threat level
The Lab requires an Endy Lab Security Advisory System to provide a comprehensive and effective means to disseminate information regarding the risk of new EtBr spills to lab, personel, and to the American people. Such a system would provide warnings in the form of a set of graduated "Threat Conditions" that would increase as the amount of EtBr spilt increases. At each Threat Condition, Lab members and agencies would implement a corresponding set of "Protective Measures", or "paper towels soaked in Ethanol" to further reduce vulnerability or increase response capability during a period of heightened alert.
The EtBr spill security advisory level today is -
Web-based tutorial on not spreading EtBr
- Put pipet tip into EtBr bottle.
- Do not touch sides of bottle with pipet on the way in.
- Extract pipet tip from EtBr bottle once the tip has been filled.
- Do not touch sides of bottle with pipet on the way out.
- Do not pipet the EtBr onto the outside of the bottle.
- Should you fail to follow step 5 correctly, do not then spread the EtBr around the outside of the bottle.
- Do not invert the EtBr bottle when the lid is taken off.
Armed with this handy set of instructions it should be possible to keep the majority of the EtBr in the bottle.