From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
Jonathan Eisen's CV
- Harvard College, AB Biology, 1990
- Stanford University, PhD Biological Sciences, 1998
- 2006-current Full Professor, University of California, Davis, U. C. Davis Genome Center, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology in the School of Medicine, Department of Evolution and Ecology in the College of Biological Sciences
- 2006-current Adjunct Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the Joint Genome Institute
- 2000-current Adjunct Faculty, Biology Department, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- 2002-2006 Full Investigator, Dept. of Microbial Genomics, The Institute for Genomic Research
- 1998-2002 Asst. Investigator, Dept. of Microbial Genomics, The Institute for Genomic Research
- 1991-1998 PhD Student, Stanford University Dept. of Biological Sciences
- 1991 Field Assistant, Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory with Prof. Ward Watt
- 1989-1990 Research Assistant, Lab of Prof. Colleen A. Cavanaugh, Harvard University
- 1988 Research Assistant, Lab of Prof. Fakhri A. Bazzaz, Harvard University
- 1988 Field Assistant, Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory with Prof. William A Calder III
Honors and Awards
- 2010 Chair, Division R, American Society for Microbiology
- 2009 Finalist for the Benjamin Franklin Award in Bioinformatics
- 2009 Selected by Scientific American as one of six scientists to follow on Twitter
- 2008 Blog posting selected for "The Open Laboratory 2008" a collection of the best science blog postings of the year
- 2004-2006 Member, Defense Science Studies Group
- 2002-2009 Member, Faculty of 1000
- 2002 Selected one of Esquire Magazine’s “Best and Brightest Innovators”
- 1999 Martin Rodbell Fellowship, The Institute for Genomic Research
- 1997 Walter J. Gores Award for excellence in teaching, Stanford University
- 1997 Stanford University Centennial TA Award
- 1993 Stanford University Centennial TA Award
- 1991-1994 National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
Advisory Boards and Such
- 2009-current Joint Genome Institute's Program Advisory Committee for the Microbial Genome & Metagenome Programs
- 2008-2009 National Academy of Sciences, Committee on Life Sciences, 2008-2009. The report from the Committee was published in September 2009.
- 2007-current UC Davis Genome Center Nucleic Acids Core Facility Advisory Group
- 2007-2009 Sci/Tech Advisory Board on Biosecurity, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- 2004-2007 Scientific Advisory Board, National Evolutionary Synthesis Center, North Carolina
- 2003-2007 Scientific Advisory Board, Saccharomyces Genome Database, Stanford University
- 2000-2002 Scientific Advisory Board, Geneformatics Inc.
- Ongoing Panelist for multiple DOE, NSF and Genome Canada grant programs
- Ongoing Ad Hoc Reviewer for NSF, NASA, DOE, NIH, and other grants
- 2008-present Academic Editor in Chief, PLoS Biology
- 2006-present Editorial Board, Biology Direct
- 2004-present Editorial Board, PLoS Computational Biology
- 2003-present Editorial Board, PLoS Biology
- 2003-2007 Editorial Board, Molecular Biology and Evolution
- 1999-2007 Editorial Board, Genome Research
- 2004-2006 Editorial Board, Journal of Molecular Evolution
- 2001-2003 Editorial Board, Microbiology
- 2008-2010 UC Davis, Fall Quarter, Biological Sciences 2C: Biodiversity and the Tree of Life, Co-taught with other faculty including James Doyle, Brad Shaffer, and Susan Keen, 600 students
- 2007-2010 UC Davis, Spring Quarter, Workshop in Applied Phylogenetics, Guest Lecture
- 2008, 2010 UC Davis, Microbial Phylogenomics, Taught full course
- 2007 UC Davis, Spring Quarter, CLIMB (Collaborative Learning in Mathematics and Biology), Guest module lectures
- 2002-2004 MBL Genome Sequencing and Analysis Course, Co-design and guest lectures
- 2003 IGERT Visiting Fellow in Comparative Genomics, U. Arizona, 1 week
- 1999-2003 MBL, Short Course on Molecular Evolution, Guest Lecturer
- 1999-2001 CSHL Genomics Course, Guest Lecturer
- 1999-2003 Jackson Lab Genome Sequence Analysis Course, Guest Lecturer
- 1996-1998 Stanford University “SME Core: The Heart”. Head Teaching Assistant and Co-Course Designer with Profs. David Botstein, Rick Myers, David Cox, et al.
- Ongoing Guest lectures on “Genomics” or “Phylogenomics” in dozens of courses at UC Davis, UMD, and JHU over the last 14 years.
- Biologists rally to sequence 'neglected' microbes, Magazine Article, November 17, 2009, Nature Magazine article about work from Eisen lab. See http://www.nature.com/news/2009/091117/full/news.2009.1093.html.
- MTS38 - Jonathan Eisen - An Embarrassment of Genomes, Other, November 04, 2009, Podcast interview from Microbe World with Jonathan Eisen. See http://www.microbeworld.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=540.
- Could Bacteria Be A Throat-Cancer Culprit?, Magazine Article, August 5, 2009, Forbes Magazine article including quote from J. Eisen. See http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/05/throat-cancer-bacteria-business-healthcare-bacteria.html.
- Twitter: What's All the Chirping About?, Magazine Article, July 2009, Bioscience. Includes quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1525/bio.2009.59.7.19?cookieSet=1.
- Science journalism: breaking the convention, Magazine Article, June 24, 2009, Nature Magazine article including quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090624/full/4591050a.html.
- The Human Terrain, Magazine Article, June 2009, Energy Times article on human associated microbes including interview w/ J. Eisen. See http://www.sykeswrites.com/samples/pdf/Human%20Terrain2.pdf.
- Microbiology: Straight from the gut. Article featuring work in the Eisen lab on intestinal transplants., Magazine Article, May 28, 2009, Nature Magazine. See http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080528/full/453581a.html.
- Genes That Fit Podcast & Radio Show., Other, May 04, 2009, From SETI radio. Interview w/ J. Eisen and others. See http://podcast.seti.org/episodes/Genes_That_Fit.
- Super Powers: Where can I get some, Newspaper Article, May 1, 2009, New York Daily News. Includes quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/toplists/super_powers_where_can_i_get_some/super_powers_where_can_i_get_some.html.
- Brain gain: The underground world of “neuroenhancing” drugs., Magazine Article, April 27, 2009, New Yorker article on brain "doping" including interview with J. Eisen. See http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/04/27/090427fa_fact_talbot?currentPage=all.
- Computing evolution, Magazine Article, January 16, 2009, Article in ScienceNews including interview with J. Eisen. See http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/40012/title/Computing_Evolution_.
- Terrestrial origin mooted for more microbes, Magazine Article, November 28, 2008, Nature Magazine article including quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.nature.com/news/2008/081128/full/news.2008.1265.html.
- Dopaje al servicio de inteligencia, Magazine Article, October 21, 2008, El Pais. Includes interview with J. Eisen. See http://www.elpais.com/articulo/sociedad/Dopaje/servicio/inteligencia/elpepisoc/20081021elpepisoc_1/Tes?print=1.
- Many early clues to anthrax suspect, Newspaper Article, August 15, 2008, LA Times article on anthrax genetic testing and bioterror attack includes quotes from J. Eisen. See. http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/15/nation/na-anthrax15.
- GENOMICS: Read All About It--The First Female Genome! Or Is It?, Magazine Article, June 6, 2008, Science Magazine article on first female genome includes quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/320/5881/1274a.
- James Watson's genome sequenced at high speed, Magazine Article, April 16, 2008, Nature Magazine article including quote by J. Eisen. See http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080416/full/452788b.html.
- Poll results: look who's doping, Magazine Article, April 9, 2008, Nature Magazine article on "brain doping" discussing blog "spoof" by J. Eisen. See http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080409/full/452674a.html.
- News, Website, February 26, 2008, GenomeWeb News Story on appointment of J. Eisen as AEIC of PLoS Biology. See http://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/mel-kronick-bernard-daugeras-stephane-mery-mark-treherne-sam-eletr-anthony-saler.
- Bee Colony Collapse Disorder, Magazine Article, September 7, 2007, Forbes. See article http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesandmedicine/2007/09/06/genomics-dna-gene_sequencing-biz-sci-cx_mh_0907bees.html.
- Genomes within genomes., Magazine Article, September 6, 2007, Nature Magazine article including quote from J. Eisen. . See article http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070903/full/449006b.html.
- Nature Magazine News Story on Role of Bacteria in Fruit Fly Aging, Magazine Article, August 8, 2007, Nature Magazine. See article http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070806/full/070806-8.html.
- A human microbiome project?, Magazine Article, August 8, 2007, Venture Beat article includes discussion of talk from J. Eisen at conference. See http://venturebeat.com/2007/08/08/a-human-microbiome-project/.
- New sequencing method. Eisen quoted., Magazine Article, August 4, 2007, Genome Technology Magazine, In Sequence.
- Personal Genome Project Story. Includes quotes from J. Eisen., Magazine Article, July 31, 2007, Genome Technology Magazine, In Sequence.
- BPs Biotech Bet, Magazine Article, July 03, 2007, Forbes. See article http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/03/bp-genomics-energy-biz-sci-cx-mh_0703green_bp.html?partner=links.
- Scientists Swap Genes in Bacteria, Newspaper Article, June 29, 2007, AP article run in many papers. Includes quotes from J. Eisen. See http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2007Jun29/0,4675,GermGeneSwap,00.html.
- Ocean DNA brings out hidden worlds, Newspaper Article, March 15, 2007, Woodland Daily Democrat article discussing papers and work of J. Eisen.
- We are family. Linnaeus at 300., Magazine Article, March 14, 2007, Nature Magazine. Article on phylogenomics and Linnaeus. Eisen featured. See article http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v446/n7133/standfirst/446247a.html.
- Coverage of Science Paper on Calyptogena., Newspaper Article, 2/10/07-3/1/07, Many newspaper articles and web articles including UPI story and http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0222/p14s01-stss.html. See for example.
- Saving Species With Potentia, Magazine Article, February 13, 2007, Science Now Article on biodiversity. See http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2007/214/4.
- Interview for the Innoculated Mind WebCast http://www.inoculatedmind.com/2007/01/25/episode-60/, Other, January 25, 2007, Carl Mogul.
- Life Itself, Newspaper Article, December 07, 2006, Sacramento News and Review: See http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A252251.
- Sharpshooter's secret solved, Newspaper Article, June 9, 2006, Central Valley Business Times. See article http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=2183.
- Dinner for three, Website, June 06, 2006, Science Now. See http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2006/606/2?ck=nck (subscription required).
- Single-Celled Species' Genome As Complex As Ours?, Website, August 30, 2006, Slashdot. See http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/30/1724236.
- Glassy-Winged Sharpshooters Depend on Two Endosymbionts, Magazine Article, September 2006, Microbe Magazine. See article http://www.asm.org/microbe/index.asp?bid=44707.
- Publisher for the People. Open access publishing story., Newspaper Article, September 29, 2004, East Bay Express. See article http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues/2004-09-29/news/feature.html\.
- 50th Anniversary of the Watson Crick Paper on DNA, Magazine Article, April 24, 2003, Bio-IT World. See article http://journals.iranscience.net:800/Default/www.bio-itworld.com/news/042403_report2389.html@action=print.
- Genetically Modified Food, Newspaper Article, October 10, 2002, USA Today. See http://www.connectotel.com/gmfood/to101002.txt.
- A theory evolves, Magazine Article, 07/29/2002, US News and World Report. See http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/020729/archive_022121.htm.
- Ocean Explorer WebSite for 2002 Galapagos Rift Deep Sea Cruise, Website, WHOI and NOAA. See http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/02galapagos/galapagos.html.
- Rediscovering Biology: A professional development course for high school biology teachers., Video, Annenburg Foundation. See http://www.learner.org/channel/courses/biology/units/genom/experts/eisen.html.