Fixing and preserving your worms
10% phosphate buffered formalin
100ml 40% formaldehyde
900ml sea water or distilled water
Soon after collecting the worm (the fresher the better, alive is good too)
- wash it off
- Take tube of 10% phosphate buffered formalin
- Place worm into tube (straight up and down if you can)
- allow to sit at room temperature for 2 days (48hrs)
- remove worm from tube
- place worm into new tube that is empty
- add 20ml (volume with worm) of 70%ethanol
- gently revolve the worm in the ethanol until it is rinsed off
- dispose of ethanol, repeat two more times
- place worm into new tube, add 70% ethanol to top.
- that's it.