BME100 f2015:Group8 8amL1
|BME 100 Fall 2015|| Home |
Lab Write-Up 1 | Lab Write-Up 2 | Lab Write-Up 3
Lab Write-Up 4 | Lab Write-Up 5 | Lab Write-Up 6
Course Logistics For Instructors
Wiki Editing Help
LAB 1 WRITE-UP
Independent and Dependent Variables
The independent variable in this experiment is the dose of the inflammatory inducing agent LPS.
The dependent variable is the level of inflammatory protein, Inflammation present in the elderly.
We will have 10 groups. Each group will be assigned a specific dosage. This will range from 10 mg to 0 mg decreasing by a factor of 1 mg.
The ages of the subjects will range from 65 years old to 75 years old.
Number of subjects per group
We will have 20 subjects per group. Therefore the experiment will consist of 200 subjects.
1. We will select our subjects randomly from citizen whose ages range from 65 to 75 within the Phoenix area.
-We selected this age range to reduce the group variance.
3. Prior health status (current medication, no illegal drug use, etc.)
-We chose this to reduce causes of variance.
4. 10 Male and 10 Female subjects per group.
- Medications affect males and females differently.
Sources of Error and Bias
Subject sources of error:
1. Diet (Subjects are not following the proper procedures)
A. controlled by advising the patient to have a well balanced diet while the experiment is in process.
2. To prevent error, subjects report to testing clinic for medication administration.
A. Same time of the day testing for each group.
Study sources of error:
1. Machine Accuracy (ELISA)
A. High and low control testing before experiment each day before use to ensure accuracy.
2. Inexperienced faculty.
A. Improperly labeling blood samples (proper documentation.) B. Rights of medication administration - Right patient, right drug, right dose, right time, and right route.
3. Weight differences in subjects.
A. Medications affects differs with weight.