Links to Labs in Series 2
Lab 6 Taster SNP 1
Lab 7: Taster SNP 2
Lab 8: Spectrophotometry and Creating a Standard Curve
Series 2- Genetics and Disease
In this three week series of experiments you will learn:
- About SNPs and how they are analyzed.
- How to isolate DNA from bacterial cells.
- How to use PCR to amplify a region of the PTC gene which contains a SNP.
- How to use restriction enzymes and gel electrophoresis to identify the two most common PTC gene variants.
- How genotype and phenotype at the PTC locus correlate.
The following labs were adapted from Merritt, R. B., et. al. 2008. Tasting phenylthiocarbamide (PTC): a new integrative genetics lab with an old flavor and from the American Biology Teacher, 70:23-28 and Human Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Determination, by S. Deel, S. Singer and D. Walser-Kuntz (http://serc.carleton.edu/genomics/units/snp.html).