Dave A, Maxine, Diana, Barry, Lisa, Jason, Nick, Jordan, Danielle, Kristen, Ben C, Jon, Shan, Megan P, Nancy, Ricardo, Amy
Welcome to a new year
- BE board from last year had great success, but everyone should feel free to propose additions and alterations to improve upon the existing structure.
- Meeting will be open to all students for the whole hour.
- Pros: increase involvement, town hall format
- Cons: Do we need a bigger room?
- Increasing communication by starting a wiki for the BE Board
- Hosting is available on [OpenWetWare.org]
- Jason will set up the initial site and get people logins
- Test the site out over the next month before making any decisions about what role, if any, we want the wiki to have.
- Graduate program feedback/Annual survey (Ben C, Nick)
- Faculty retreat this year will focus on the graduate curriculum, want student feedback via a survey by the end of September
- Yearly survey has been done on paper previously, but an electronic approach will be attempted this year
- Will attempt to integrate the two surveys to increase the amount of participation, but no decision has been made
- Annual survey needs to be updated and there is a short time frame of the next four to five days to get that accomplished
- The survey will be emailed to present and past board members for feedback
- BE First-year dinners (Sept 27?) CHANGED TO WED 28 SEP
- setting it for Tuesday Sept 27th
- alternative options – suggesting a place to convene after dinner?
- If you know of conflicts except sox tickets inform a board member
- First-year Rep
- representative – how to acquire one?
- want elections in the near future, integrate as soon as possible
- would prefer to have the role of the first-year rep to be more defined
- help out the academic chairs
- help the social chairs to incorporate the first-years into the social activities more
- General concerns:
- want the first-years to get to know each other
- maybe look at two positions – or would that make the board too big?
- Feedback from first-years present
- all are worried about work load and balancing such a commitment
- Initial objective to just let them see the ropes and help to out with
- Encourage the first-years to attend the next meeting and then let them vote once they have a better idea
- Monthly meeting schedule
- Diana will email the board members to work out an appropriate time
- ASA room reservations
- Diana will talk to Jordan, Maxine and academic chairs will be added to the list.
Undergraduate Committee (Jason)
- Diana and Barry can step in if Jason cannot make it
- There will be three meetings during the fall semester
- The position – to have a graduate student on the academic undergrad committee for curriculum development, representing TAing, curriculum development, mentoring etc… graduate student voice on the board
- If you are making purchases, keep your receipts and turn them into Mariann Murray in the academic office
- You cannot be reimbursed for sales tax, instead you need to use the tax exempt form. If you need a copy of the tax exempt form, email Jordan.
- When you buy something, please email Jordan to ensure expenses are kept up to date
- Budget numbers on agenda only covers 90% because of the 10% overhead
- Numbers have been altered due to the use of funds over the summer… for updated number talk to Jordan, he will email out individual groups.
- Receipts much be itemized
Academics (Danielle, Nancy)
- Industrial Seminar Series
- Currently, the have three people for industrial seminars
- first opening is for the first or second week of October
- if you know anyone who you think would be interesting to invite, contact the industrial reps
- Maxine – bimonthly, seemed like too much and now belief that cutting back to once a month might be better
- Even though we only seem to need one more if we go to once a month, any contacts you have would be greatly appreciated
- Previous seminar speakers from a class Steve and Pete taught
- Ben C: meeting with Dan Darling – correlation between undergrad internships and industrial contacts, just passing information along at this point
- First Year Advisee - Graduate Student Advisor Events
- previous lack of interaction,
- last year did two pizza dinner events to get advisee/advisor events
- suggest an event in IAP to help with advisor selection process
- make sure to coordinate with the TAs for events:
Social Committee (Megan M, Ricard, Shan)
- September TGIF – flat top Jonnies: Sept 23rd, Friday
- Future endeavors – possible bowling TGIF
- BE.526 – quick information email needs to be sent for how to run the TGIF events, contact Mariann Murray , Megan McBee or Ricardo Brau for information
- Ben C: new TGIF question – can we have new faculty members informally host the 526 events so that students can get to know them?
Diversity Committee (Maxine)
- Four main topics we would like to cover – series of lunches and movies to represent specific cultures
- Group will meet this month to discuss the whether to continue attempting to show movies or if there is a better alternative options
- Additional options under investigation:
- Also like to start inter-lab lunches, to allow labs to meet one another through some sort of presentation format
- Invite faculty members or academic representative to show how diversity has impacted their careers or path etc…
- Overall goal, to allow for small focused discussions on diversity issues, integration of minorities, fears, international student integration issues, objectives to find additional discusses at other BE events, aim for a discussion with moderation
IM Sports (Dave and Kristen)
- Waiting for the email about the new sports
- Potential expansion to informing the BE community about general sporting events and the resources available through the instititute.
- Communication of a broader set of information should be tried out on the wiki to minimize emails
- Want to have fun events, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated
- Danielle: bicycling advocacy event on the weekend of the 24th
- Jason: Water station on the marathon – must sign up early
- Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort
- is there interest in clothing or food drive in the division?
- It might be best if our approach has a local slant
- Can we become involved with helping visiting students adjusting?
- General email to students to let them know what is going on and how people can help
GSC Representative (Megan P)
- GSC is attempting to coordinate all of the graduate groups to allow a concerted effort
- First meeting last night, it was “interesting”
- Need signatures in order to become the official representative…