The New BE Board
- Welcome new BE Board members. Contact Amy or Sean for any questions and concerns.
- BE Board website is based on openwetware. Contact Amy for issues. There is a mailing list for each board position.
- Meeting times will be set during first week of classes.
- Elections for the first-year rep will be held in October.
- Please, be aware of the institute hazing policy.
- Amy will continue the competition efforts.
- There may be a $3 coupon towards the T-shirt purchase offered if the annual survey is filled out.
Spending BE Board Money
- Use tax exempt form; tax cannot be reimbursed. Submit itemized receipts to Mariann. Email the treasurer with the amount spent.
- There are some excess funds with the New Events Fund.
- Keep the 10% overhead cost in mind - only 90% of your allocated budget is available for spending.
- Industrial Seminar Series scheduled for September 2 with Bryan Baynes
Annual BE Survey
- Both the old and new academic reps will revamp the annual survey. Sean will contact Aran Parillo and Ben Cosgrove for assistance.
- The questions are intended to sample opinions regarding all aspects of the graduate education within BE from the entire graduate student community, not just the BE Board.
- Please, provide input about the questions. There is a discussion forum on Wiki.
- An unofficial First-Year Welcome Party has been scheduled for September 9.
- A Flat Top Johnny's or Sailing TGIF will be set up early in the academic year.
- Nancy Guillen is the new BE diversity representative.
- Diversity events will include BE diversity seminars, cultural lunches, interlab lunches, and recruiting visits to undergraduate instutition representing underrepresented minorities.
- The summer season ended successfully. The fall sports meeting is coming up.
- We are accepting sports equipment donations and are looking into obtaining a locker for the equipment.
Undergraduate Curriculum Representative
- There is no longer a UG curriculum representative; this position has been consolidated into the Academic Chair position.
- There will be an extensive UG curriculum review by the faculty during the faculty retreat.
- Linda Griffith is the head of the undergraduate curriculum. She invited a couple of graduate students to provide feedback on the curriculum.
- The curriculum chat events received good feedback and will be continued.
- Annual survey may be used to obtain graduate student feedback about the curriculum
- The GSC is looking for volunteers for orientation events.
- MIT students are eligible for BU dental plans.
- There is an initiative SGCO for instituting a pass/fail option for graduate courses.
- We are still in search for a GSC rep. Next meeting is on September 6.