Michael D. Wilson, PhD
Clare Hall Research Fellow
University of Cambridge
Cancer Research UK - Cambridge Research Institute
Li Ka Shing Centre
Robinson Way, Cambridge,
email: michael.wilson ^at^ cancer ^dot^ org ^uk^
Evolution of transcription factor binding
An experimental and global comparison of core transcriptional regulatory programs in human to other model organisms will provide insight into the transcription factor binding events that are essential for liver function in mammals. We are detecting evolutionarily conserved regulatory protein binding events and their underlying DNA sequence and are also identifying novel, species-specific binding events. By identifying transcriptional regulatory networks in healthy tissue, we can make comparisons to cancerous, damaged or developing tissues. Furthermore, the methodology, and reagents developed here, will be directly applicable to future studies using a variety of tissues and tumours.
Uncovering the function of novel genes involved in reproduction and development
- Zonadhesin -- Zonadhesin is a novel gene that is under positive selection and is hypothesized to play a role in the species specific recognition of sperm and egg in mammals (In collaboration with Steve Tardif, Daniel Hardy and Andras Nagy)
- Ars2 -- Ars2 was first discovered by others as a gene that conferred arsenite resistance to an arsenite sensitive cell line. We characterized this gene in humans and mice and are currently studying the phenotype of Ars2 mutants. This is an ongoing collaboration with Perry Howard.
- Gnrhr -- Using gene-trap methods to understand Gnrhr function. This is a collaboration with Dr. Nancy Sherwood and Sheng Wu.
Comparative genomics and evolution
- Genomic regions associated with duplications, insertions, deletions and disease
- 7q11 William-Beuren syndrome
- 7q22 Acute myeloid leukemia
Evolution of new genes
- PVRIG and the Paired immunoglobulin like receptors
- Novel genes generated by segmental duplication
PhD, Department of Biology, University of Victoria.
B.Sc., University of Victoria. Biochemistry and Hispanic studies.
- Wilson MD and Odom DT. Evolution of transcriptional control in mammals. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009 Dec;19(6):579-85. DOI:10.1016/j.gde.2009.10.003 |
- Schmidt D, Wilson MD, Spyrou C, Brown GD, Hadfield J, and Odom DT. ChIP-seq: using high-throughput sequencing to discover protein-DNA interactions. Methods. 2009 Jul;48(3):240-8. DOI:10.1016/j.ymeth.2009.03.001 |
- Schmidt D, Stark R, Wilson MD, Brown GD, and Odom DT. Genome-scale validation of deep-sequencing libraries. PLoS One. 2008;3(11):e3713. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0003713 |
- Wilson MD, Barbosa-Morais NL, Schmidt D, Conboy CM, Vanes L, Tybulewicz VL, Fisher EM, Tavaré S, and Odom DT. Species-specific transcription in mice carrying human chromosome 21. Science. 2008 Oct 17;322(5900):434-8. DOI:10.1126/science.1160930 |
- Wilson MD, Wang D, Wagner R, Breyssens H, Gertsenstein M, Lobe C, Lu X, Nagy A, Burke RD, Koop BF, and Howard PL. ARS2 is a conserved eukaryotic gene essential for early mammalian development. Mol Cell Biol. 2008 Mar;28(5):1503-14. DOI:10.1128/MCB.01565-07 |
- Conboy CM, Spyrou C, Thorne NP, Wade EJ, Barbosa-Morais NL, Wilson MD, Bhattacharjee A, Young RA, Tavaré S, Lees JA, and Odom DT. Cell cycle genes are the evolutionarily conserved targets of the E2F4 transcription factor. PLoS One. 2007 Oct 24;2(10):e1061. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0001061 |
- Wilson MD, Cheung J, Martindale DW, Scherer SW, and Koop BF. Comparative analysis of the paired immunoglobulin-like receptor (PILR) locus in six mammalian genomes: duplication, conversion, and the birth of new genes. Physiol Genomics. 2006 Nov 27;27(3):201-18. DOI:10.1152/physiolgenomics.00284.2005 |
- Hunt PN, Wilson MD, von Schalburg KR, Davidson WS, and Koop BF. Expression and genomic organization of zonadhesin-like genes in three species of fish give insight into the evolutionary history of a mosaic protein. BMC Genomics. 2005 Nov 22;6:165. DOI:10.1186/1471-2164-6-165 |
- Cheung J, Wilson MD, Zhang J, Khaja R, MacDonald JR, Heng HH, Koop BF, and Scherer SW. Recent segmental and gene duplications in the mouse genome. Genome Biol. 2003;4(8):R47. DOI:10.1186/gb-2003-4-8-r47 |
- Montpetit A, Wilson MD, Chevrette M, Koop BF, and Sinnett D. Analysis of the conservation of synteny between Fugu and human chromosome 12. BMC Genomics. 2003 Jul 23;4(1):30. DOI:10.1186/1471-2164-4-30 |
- Wen XY, Hegele RA, Wang J, Wang DY, Cheung J, Wilson M, Yahyapour M, Bai Y, Zhuang L, Skaug J, Young TK, Connelly PW, Koop BF, Tsui LC, and Stewart AK. Identification of a novel lipase gene mutated in lpd mice with hypertriglyceridemia and associated with dyslipidemia in humans. Hum Mol Genet. 2003 May 15;12(10):1131-43.
- Scherer SW, Cheung J, MacDonald JR, Osborne LR, Nakabayashi K, Herbrick JA, Carson AR, Parker-Katiraee L, Skaug J, Khaja R, Zhang J, Hudek AK, Li M, Haddad M, Duggan GE, Fernandez BA, Kanematsu E, Gentles S, Christopoulos CC, Choufani S, Kwasnicka D, Zheng XH, Lai Z, Nusskern D, Zhang Q, Gu Z, Lu F, Zeesman S, Nowaczyk MJ, Teshima I, Chitayat D, Shuman C, Weksberg R, Zackai EH, Grebe TA, Cox SR, Kirkpatrick SJ, Rahman N, Friedman JM, Heng HH, Pelicci PG, Lo-Coco F, Belloni E, Shaffer LG, Pober B, Morton CC, Gusella JF, Bruns GA, Korf BR, Quade BJ, Ligon AH, Ferguson H, Higgins AW, Leach NT, Herrick SR, Lemyre E, Farra CG, Kim HG, Summers AM, Gripp KW, Roberts W, Szatmari P, Winsor EJ, Grzeschik KH, Teebi A, Minassian BA, Kere J, Armengol L, Pujana MA, Estivill X, Wilson MD, Koop BF, Tosi S, Moore GE, Boright AP, Zlotorynski E, Kerem B, Kroisel PM, Petek E, Oscier DG, Mould SJ, Döhner H, Döhner K, Rommens JM, Vincent JB, Venter JC, Li PW, Mural RJ, Adams MD, and Tsui LC. Human chromosome 7: DNA sequence and biology. Science. 2003 May 2;300(5620):767-72. DOI:10.1126/science.1083423 |
- Shuttleworth TL, Wilson MD, Wicklow BA, Wilkins JA, and Triggs-Raine BL. Characterization of the murine hyaluronidase gene region reveals complex organization and cotranscription of Hyal1 with downstream genes, Fus2 and Hyal3. J Biol Chem. 2002 Jun 21;277(25):23008-18. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M108991200 |
- Wilson MD, Ruttan CC, Koop BF, and Glickman BW. ERCC1: a comparative genomic perspective. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2001;38(2-3):209-15.
- Wilson MD, Riemer C, Martindale DW, Schnupf P, Boright AP, Cheung TL, Hardy DM, Schwartz S, Scherer SW, Tsui LC, Miller W, and Koop BF. Comparative analysis of the gene-dense ACHE/TFR2 region on human chromosome 7q22 with the orthologous region on mouse chromosome 5. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001 Mar 15;29(6):1352-65.
- Martindale DW, Wilson MD, Wang D, Burke RD, Chen X, Duronio V, and Koop BF. Comparative genomic sequence analysis of the Williams syndrome region (LIMK1-RFC2) of human chromosome 7q11.23. Mamm Genome. 2000 Oct;11(10):890-8.
- Brown G, Martindale D, Wilson MD, Koop BF. Mouse and human DNA sequence comparisons: further evidence for a mosaic model of genomic evolution. In Sankoff D, Nadeau JH, eds. Comparative Genomics: Empirical and Analytical Approaches to Gene Order Dynamics, Map Alignment and the Evolution of Gene Families. Volume 1 of Series in Computational Biology. Dordrecht, NL: Kluwer Academic Press; 2000.