George H. McArthur IV, Ph.D. student, Virginia Commonwealth University
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. – Einstein
Welcome! I'm a second-year doctoral student at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, VA and a member of Dr. Stephen Fong's Systems Biological Engineering Laboratory in the Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering. Currently, I am working on designing and characterizing genetic parts, devices and systems necessary for the implementation and tight control of synthetic microbial metabolism. I am also actively developing synthetic biology educational material. Please feel free to email me.
- McArthur GH and Fong SS. (2010). Toward engineering synthetic microbial metabolism. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology. In press.
- McArthur GH, Gowen CM, Bower A, McClintock M, and Fong SS. (2010). Modulating gene expression with designed UP elements. In preparation.
- Poster - Chlamydomonas reinhardtii as a photosynthetic cellular chassis and power supply for synthetic biological systems, BioSysBio 2009, 23-25 March 2009, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
- Poster - Chlamydomonas reinhardtii as a platform for the direct photosynthesis of advanced biofuels, Institute of Biological Engineering 2009 annual meeting, 19-22 March 2009, Santa Clara, CA
- Poster - A bottom-up approach to synthetic biology education: From iGEM teams to undergraduate curricula, Synthetic Biology 4.0, 10-12 October 2008, HKUST, Hong Kong, China
- Talk - The Virginia Genetically Engineered Machine Team, BioSysBio 2008, 20-22 April 2008, Imperial College London, London, UK
- Poster - Harvesting cellulose and light to power butanol biosynthesis: A synthetic biology approach to metabolic engineering, Institute of Biological Engineering 2008 annual meeting, 6-9 March 2008, Chapel Hill, NC
- Talk/poster - Harvesting cellulose and light to power butanol biosynthesis: A synthetic biology approach to metabolic engineering, iGEM 2007, 3-4 November 2007, MIT, Cambridge, MA
- In progress, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University, Chemical and Life Science Engineering, Advised by Stephen Fong
- 2009, M.S., Virginia Commonwealth University, Chemical and Life Science Engineering
- 2008, B.S., University of Virginia, Chemical Engineering (Biotechnology Concentration), Minor in Biology
- 2008, B.A., University of Virginia, Music (Composition Concentration)
- Undergraduate Thesis Portfolio
- The Development of a First Course in the Fundamentals of Synthetic Biology at the University of Virginia
- The VGEM Team: A Model for Enhancing Engineering Education
- A Regulatory Framework for the Constructive Development of Synthetic Biology