- What proportion of newly synthesized proteins fail to fold, and why?
- How do cells tell when a protein is misfolded, rather than simply in the process of folding? Do cells actually make such distinctions?
- What is the cost of producing a protein that misfolds, compared to the cost if that protein folds properly?
- Why are misfolded proteins costly?
- How does inaccuracy in the translational apparatus (ribosomes, aa-tRNA synthetases, etc.) shape the evolution of coding sequences and proteins?