840:153g:Projects/project19/2011/09/29

From OpenWetWare
Jump to: navigation, search

9/29 - Today we decided to try the specific protocol for DNA extraction from citrus species. Upon review, we found that the protocol required leaf tissue from the plant. We then tried to find fresh leaf tissue from an orange plant. After calling around to multiple local groceries and nurseries, we found that one had fresh orange plants. We then drove out to Jordan's Nursery and obtained several leaves from Valencia orange plants. Upon returning, we ground up the leaf tissue in a mortar & pestle using liquid nitrogen. The ground tissue was placed in a storage vial and stored in the -80ºC freezer until next session, when we will again attempt the DNEasy protocol for extraction.