26 February 2009
From OpenWetWareJump to navigationJump to search
Date: 26 February 2009; Time:1400; Agenda: Fixing biofilm and airdrying for SEM.
- The lids containing biofilm that were exposed to the polymers overnight were removed from the challenge plates and briefly rinsed in PBS solution for 2 minutes each to remove any planktonic bacteria.
- The bioflim was then fixed in a fixing solution:
Preparation of fixing solution:
- 12ml of 25% glutaldehyde was mixed with 100ml 0.1M PBS.
- To prepare 0.1M PBS:
- 20 tablets of PBS were dissolved in 400ml of water
- This fixing solution was then added to 2 new CBD plates and the lids containing biofilm replaced. They were left to soak in the fixing solution for 2 hrs.
- After 2 hrs, the lids were removed and put into a styrofoam box (with holes above) to air dry in the fume hood for 5 days (ie. Till next Tues).