User talk:Brian P. Josey
Your first official challenge
Linh N Le 02:35, 28 August 2009 (EDT) Koch has called you out! http://www.openwetware.org/wiki/Talk:Koch_Lab:Inventory I will be more than happy to teach you how to use the inventory setup that I helped create. I think Fridays you leave before 11, so i will try my best to get in early. If need be, Andy can show you if you cannot follow the instructions I've left on that page
New test message
Linh N Le 14:39, 25 August 2009 (EDT) Hi, testing your page, you should get an email telling you i put this here
Hello, Brian P. Josey! This is a welcome message from OpenWetWare. By the way, we've announced you on the home page! You can leave messages to any OWW member by editing their User_talk pages like this one. And don't forget to personalize your User Page so that we can get to know you better! We've included some tips below to get you started.
Koch's suggestions for first day / week (I'll keep adding things)
- Click on "my preferences" in the above right and set it so that (a) you automatically watch pages that you edit and (b) it emails you when pages on your watchlist or your user talk page is changed.
- Get Badge Access to CHTM and lab -- Talk with Beth Fuchs about this.
- Read Chapter 1 of "At the Bench." The book is in the lab and you can get a PDF here: Image:At the bench Chapter 1.pdf
- Read Koch_Lab:Principles
- Ask Andy (or other grads) for tasks to help with (we'll talk more about this as you get accustomed to lab)
- Ask Andy or other grads to show you around the lab, how to use computers, etc.
- Ask Andy or other grads to point you to some of their favorite kinesin papers that you can start reading.
- Ask Andy or other grads to show you how to edit the wiki; how to join friendfeed; etc.
Basic Wiki Instructions
- Don't be afraid to edit! As with all pages on the wiki, all versions are saved so its easy to undo. If you have any questions feel free to send us an email.
- Start off by clicking the 'edit' button to the right of this section, or at the top of the page.
- Now you should see the text of this section as text within an editor box. There are several buttons in the editor box, but don't worry about those for now. Just type something in the box, scroll down to the bottom, and hit the 'Preview' button.
- You should see the web-page and text box views, but now with your edits! Don't forget to save your changes by clicking 'Save Page'!
- Editing pages is as easy as that. There are of course many ways to format your text. The easiest way to learn is to find an OWW page with the formatting you like, click on the edit button again, and see for yourself how it was created in the text box. Here's an extensive list of formating examples. Or look at this OpenWetWare introductory tutorial.
- When you are done, remove these instructions by clicking the edit button for this section again, erase everything you see in the text box and click 'Save Page'. (And remember you can always retrieve these by clicking on the 'history' tab at the top of this page.)
Note that these instructions apply to any page on OWW. Feel free to contribute to OWW by editing pages to add content, update them, or even correct mistakes. OWW relies on an active community to manage our growing resource of open access information, and we need your help!
We have gone ahead and filled in some information you provided us in your membership application on your User Page. Please take a moment to embellish this and tell the community a little more about you. Put links to your lab pages, your projects and your interests. If you run out of ideas, take a look at some of the other User pages. For example, check out User:Julius_B._Lucks, User:Jason_R._Kelly and User:Reshma_P._Shetty.
You'll also notice that we have put an 'image' placeholder at the top of your User Page. We encourage you to upload an image of yourself to give OWW a more personal feel. To upload an image, click on the Upload file link on the left-hand side (toolbar). Choose a file from your computer, and remember the file name. After you have uploaded the image, you should see it loaded on its own page. Go back to your User Page, click on edit, and replace 'OWWEmblem.png' with the name of your file that you have uploaded in the second line of this page.