"People are DNA's way of making more DNA" -Edward O. Wilson
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Andrew S. Tannenbaum
"Beer yeast, when dispersed in water, breaks down into an infinite number of small spheres. If these spheres are transferred to an aqueous solution of sugar, they develop into small animals. They are endowed with a sort of suction trunk with wich they gulp up the sugar from the solution. Digestion is immediately and clearly recognizable because of the discharge of excrements. These animals evacuate ethyl alcohol from their bowels and carbon dioxide from their urinary organs. Thus one can observe how a specifically lighter fluid is exuded from the anus and rises vertically, wheras a stream of carbon dioxide is ejected at very short intervals from their enormously large genitals." - Friedrich Wohler and Justus von Liebig, Annals of Chemistry, Vol.29 (1839)
- Mario Ouellet
- Joint Bioenergy Institute
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.
- Berkeley, CA
- Email me through OpenWetWare
- Synthetic Biology
- Chemical Biology
- Systems Biology
- Yeast Metabolic Engineering
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Nucleic Acids Technologies
- Zhang F, Ouellet M, Batth TS, Adams PD, Petzold CJ, Mukhopadhyay A, Keasling J. Enhancing fatty acid production by the expression of the regulatory transcription factor FadR. (2012) Submitted.
- Rautengarten C, Ebert B, Ouellet M, Nafisi M, Baidoo EEK, Benke P, Stranne M, Mukhopadhyay A, Keasling JD, Sakuragi Y, Scheller HV. The Arabidopsis Deficient in Cutin Ferulate (DCF) Encodes A Transferase Required for Feruloylation of ω-Hydroxy Fatty Acids in Cutin Polyester. (2011) Plant Physiology, Accepted.
- Peralta-Yahya P, Ouellet M, Chan R, Mukhopadhyay A, Keasling J, Lee TS. Identification and microbial production of a terpene-based advanced biofuel. (2011) Nature Communications, 2:483 doi: 10.1038/ncomms1494.
- Chhabra S, Butland G, Elias D, Chandonia JM, Fok V, Juba T, Gorur A, Allen S, Leung CM, Keller K, Reveco S, Zane G, Semkiw E, Prathapam R, Gold B, Singer M, Ouellet M, Sazakal E, Jorgens D, Price M, Witkowska E, Beller H, Hazen T, Biggin M, Auer M, Wall J, and Keasling J. Generalized Schemes for High Throughput Manipulation of the Desulfovibrio vulgaris Hildenborough Genome. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, accepted.
- Ouellet M, Datta S, Dibble DC, Tamrakar PR, Benke PI, Li C, Singh S, Sale KL, Adams PD, Keasling JD, Simmons BA, Holmes BM and Mukhopadhyay A. (2011) Impact of ionic liquid pretreated plant biomass on Saccharomyces cerevisiae growth and biofuel production. Green Chemistry, DOI: 10.1039/c1gc15327g.
- Ouellet M, Adams PA, Keasling JD and Mukhopadhyay A. A Rapid and Inexpensive Labeling Method for Microarray Gene Expression Analysis. (2009)BMC Biotechnology, 9:97.
- Steen EJ, Chan R, Prasad N, Myers S, Petzold CJ, Redding A, Ouellet M & Keasling JD. Metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for the production of n-butanol. (2008) Microbial Cell Factories, 7:36
- Ro DK*, Ouellet M*, Paradise EM, Burd H, Eng D, Paddon C, Keasling JD. Induction of multiple pleiotropic drug resistance genes in yeast engineered to produce the anti-malarial drug precursor, artemisinic acid. (2008) BMC Biotechnology, 8:83.
- Ro DK, Paradise EM, Ouellet M, Fisher KJ, Newman KL, Ndungu JM, Ho KA, Eachus RA, Ham TS, Kirby J, Chang MC, Withers ST, Shiba Y, Sarpong R, Keasling JD. (2006) Production of the antimalarial drug precursor artemisinic acid in engineered yeast. Nature 440:940-3.
- Pitre FE, Lafarguette F, Boyle B, Pavy N, Caron S, Dallaire N, Poulin P-L, Ouellet M, Morency M-J, Wiebe N, Lim EL, Urbain A, Mouille G,Cooke JEK and Mackay JJ. (2010) High nitrogen fertilization and stem leaning have overlapping effects on wood formation in poplar but invoke largely distinct molecular pathways. Tree Physiol 30(10): 1273-1289
- Cote CL, Boileau F, Roy V, Ouellet M, Levasseur C, Morency M-J, Cooke JEK, Seguin A and MacKay J.(2010) Gene family structure, expression and functional analysis of HD-Zip III genes in angiosperm and gymnosperm forest trees. BMC Plant Biology 10:273.
- Bolduc N, Ouellet M, Pitre F, Brisson LF. (2003) Molecular characterization of two plant BI-1 homologues which suppress Bax-induced apoptosis in human 293 cells. Planta 216(3): 377-86.
- Dae-Kyun Ro, Karyn Newman, Eric M. Paradise, Jay D. Keasling, Mario Ouellet, Rachel Eachus, Kimberly Ho, Timothy Ham. POLYNUCLEOTIDES ENCODING ISOPRENOID MODIFYING ENZYMES AND METHODS OF USE THEREOF. Application number: 11/917,875; Publication number: US 2010/0218283 A1.
- Michelle Chia-Yu Chang, Rachel A. Krupa, Jeffrey Lance Kizer, John R. Haliburton, Mario Ouellet, Jeffrey Alan Dietrich, Jay D. Keasling. GENETICALLY MODIFIED HOST CELLS FOR INCREASED P450 ACTIVITY LEVELS AND METHODS OF USE THEREOF. Application number: 12/021,974; Publication number: US 2008/0233623 A1.