- Laila Shehata
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Residence: Alpha Phi
- Hometown: Bethesda, Maryland
- Email: lshehata AT mit DOT edu
- lEmail me through OpenWetWare
- 2016, BS in Biological Engineering
- 2012, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
- How environmental factors influence virulence, specifically avian influenza
- Veterinary Genetics
- Drug Delivery
- This past summer I worked at Institut Pasteur in Paris to determine what sequences and structures are necessary to attC recombination sites in order for gene cassettes to be recognized by integrase and shuffled into the integron.
- In the summer of 2013, I interned in the Undiagnosed Diseases Program in the National Institutes of Health. I worked on a specific case involving three patients with a unique combination of clinical symptoms and genetic mutations and coauthored a paper describing our findings.
- Since January of 2013 I have been UROPing in the Runstadler Lab, which studies the host/agent interactions and environmental factors which influence the spread of Influenza A viruses.
- ERCC6 dysfunction presenting as progressive neurological decline with brain hypomyelination - to be published in AJMG
Hobbies and Interests
- Undergraduate Association