I am interested in understanding how plants regulate the mobilization, uptake, translocation, and storage of elements in different environments.
The focus of our attempts to study this question is Ionomics. We analyze the elemental content of 500-1000 samples per week using ICP-MS. To make sense of the data coming off the machine, we also need to collect data about the environment the plants were grown in and how the samples were processed. To record all this information, control the workflows, and store and analyze the data, we created the Purdue Ionomics Information Management System (PiiMS). This system has helped the great ionomics team I work with to map several genes important for elemental accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana. But to really answer this question we will also need to understand how all the genes/transcripts/proteins/metabolites interact to control the ionome (all of the mineral elements in a cell, tissue, or organism).
I am also the Plant Biology section editor of PLoS ONE and a big supporter of Open Access.
Here is my Facebook page.
- 2004-2009 Post-Doc in the Salt Lab at Purdue University.
- 2004, PhD, Macromolecular and Cellular Structure and Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institue
- 1996, BA, Chemistry, Goucher College
- Guerinot, ML, Baxter I, Salt DE. (2009) From the ionome to the genome: Identifying gene networks that control the mineral content of plants. In Plant Systems Biology. Coruzzi G and Gutierrez R, eds. Wiley Publishing. Link
- Baxter I. . pmid:19481970.
- Baxter I, Hosmani PS, Rus A, Lahner B, Borevitz JO, Muthukumar B, Mickelbart MV, Schreiber L, Franke RB, and Salt DE. . pmid:19461889.
- Danku J, Gumaelius L, Baxter I, Salt DE. (2009) A high-throughput method for Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast) ionomics. J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 24, 103 - 107,doi:10.1039/b803529f
- Baxter IR, Vitek O, Lahner B, Muthukumar B, Borghi M, Morrissey J, Guerinot ML, and Salt DE. . pmid:18697928.
- Baxter I, Muthukumar B, Park HC, Buchner P, Lahner B, Danku J, Zhao K, Lee J, Hawkesford MJ, Guerinot ML, and Salt DE. . pmid:18454190.
- Salt DE, Baxter I, and Lahner B. . pmid:18251712.
- Borevitz JO, Hazen SP, Michael TP, Morris GP, Baxter IR, Hu TT, Chen H, Werner JD, Nordborg M, Salt DE, Kay SA, Chory J, Weigel D, Jones JD, and Ecker JR. . pmid:17626786.
- Baxter I, Ouzzani M, Orcun S, Kennedy B, Jandhyala SS, and Salt DE. . pmid:17189337.
- Baxter IR and Borevitz JO. . pmid:16804534.
- Rus A, Baxter I, Muthukumar B, Gustin J, Lahner B, Yakubova E, and Salt DE. . pmid:17140289.
- Hazen SP, Pathan MS, Sanchez A, Baxter I, Dunn M, Estes B, Chang HS, Zhu T, Kreps JA, and Nguyen HT. . pmid:15480887.
- Baxter IR, Young JC, Armstrong G, Foster N, Bogenschutz N, Cordova T, Peer WA, Hazen SP, Murphy AS, and Harper JF. . pmid:15695592.
- Baxter I, Tchieu J, Sussman MR, Boutry M, Palmgren MG, Gribskov M, Harper JF, and Axelsen KB. . pmid:12805592.
- Vitart V, Baxter I, Doerner P, and Harper JF. . pmid:11532165.
- Hegmans A, Sabat M, Baxter I, Freisinger E, and Lippert B. . pmid:11670657.