The BioBricks Foundation:Standards/Technical/Exchange
Synthetic Biology Data Exchange
This working group is developing standards and technologies for the description of standard biological parts and the exchange (or networking) of part-related data.
Contact and Participate
We keep track of our meetings here: http://www.sbolstandard.org/team/meetings
Synthetic Biology Open Language (SBOL)
SBOL Website: http://www.sbolstandard.org/
SBOL is designed to:
- Allow synthetic biologists and genetic engineers to electronically exchange designs.
- Send and receive genetic designs to and from biofabrication centers.
- Facilitate storage of genetic designs in repositories.
- Embed genetic designs in publications.
Read more about SBOL in the introduction
Find the technical details on the specification page
2010 May -
- The SBOL project moved to its own website http://www.sbolstandard.org
2009 December - 2010 April
- Galdzicki, M., Rodriguez, C., Chandran, D., Gennari, J.H., and Sauro, H.M. A Semantic Knowledge Base of Standard Biological Parts. International Workshop on Bio-Design and Automation 2010, Anaheim, CA pg 30
2009 August - November
We have divided the working group into sub-topics, each with their own "Nurturer".
- Application Scenarios -- Deepak Chandran
- Synthetic Biology Open Language (SBOL)
- Data exchange API (programming interfaces) -- Become a Nurturer!
- Part Sequence Annotation -- Tim?
2009 June - July
- July 27, 2009 Galdzicki, M., Chandran, D., Sauro, H.M, Cook, D., and Gennari, J. Bridging Synthetic Biology Models and Experiments using PoBoL. International Workshop on Bio-Design and Automation 2009, San Francisco, CA
- July 26, 2009 Synthetic Biology Data Exchange Working Group Meeting Stanford, CA 2009
2008 Feb - 2009 May
- PoBol: Provisional BioBrick™ Language
- Final RFC document submited "Provisional BioBrick™ Language (PoBoL)" BBF RFC 31 (2009-05-15)
- Draft of an RDF-based framework for the exchange and integration of Synthetic Biology data. BBF RFC 30 (2009-04-24)
- April 26, 2008 Standards and Specifications in Synthetic Biology Workshop Seattle, WA 2008
The document describing the the first round of discussions (February - April) can be found here: