There were several proposals for new testbeds:
- Counter -> Computer (Endy lab)
- Safe strains (Farren Isaacs, Church lab)
- Kill switches
- Could incorporate a counter
- Energy (Keasling, BP)
- How can we contribute to this research agenda?
Feel free to add/edit this list.
- Scented bacteria
- Plant endosymbiot
- Virtual OS
- Free-living nitrogen fixers
- Materials science (bio-materials)
- Genome upload/download
- Genetic stability and instability
- Kill switch hooked up to a counter
- Make use of unnatural AA
- Chassis for protein expression, limit incorporation of strange AAs
- Enhance E.coli for DNA manipulation
- Waste management
- Changing cell membrane composition
- Engineer cellular communities
- Introduce recombination sites into E.coli to shuffle genomes on command – faster genome recombination.
- E.coli that doubles every 10 mins – divide the chromosome in half. One off oriC and one at F plasmid.
- Running systems at stationary phase.
- Select for E.coli that are longer
- Refactored E.coli
- Yeast recombination system in E.coli
- In vivo SNP detection system.