At the May 22, 2007 meeting of the SynBERC devices working group, we discussed possible standards for measurement and characterization of standard biological parts.
Here are is a summary of the results of that meeting. Please discuss these standards.
In order to facilitate comparison across characterization experiments from different labs, we generated the following list of measurement controls .
- Fluorescent calibration beads
- This control facilitates calibration across instruments and measurement technologies
- Exact make and model to be determined
- Reference part: <bbpart>BBa_I7101</bbpart> in pSB1A2
In order to introduce more uniformity across characterization experiments from different labs, we generated the following list of defined operating conditions for parts and devices.
- Strain: DH10B or TOP10 (very similar strains)
- This strain needs to be sequenced by the chassis thrust
- Vector: pSB1A3-P1010
- This is a high copy vector with ampicillin resistance. It may not be practical if load effects are an issue.
- Growth temperature: 37°C
- Growth media: EZ Rich Defined Medium with 4% glycerol as the carbon source
- OD600nm = 0.2
- Need to decide what spectrophotometer to use for this measurement
- Fluorescent protein of choice: <bbpart>BBa_E0040</bbpart>
- Second fluorescent protein: an RFP variant to be determined
- Flask to culture volume?
- Determine the appropriate RFP variant
- Select fluorescent calibration beads
- Submit pSB1A2-I7101 to the Registry (RS)
- Select a spectrophotometer for OD600nm measurements?
- Request that chassis thrust sequence DH10B/TOP10