Midterm Exam (March 26)
The midterm will cover:
Nelson Chapter 1-9
Additional topics covered in class
One sheet (front/back) of handwritten notes will be allowed.
The exam will be written for 50 minutes, although you may stay as late as you wish to finish.
There will be:
- One reading comprehension question from the book on a topic not covered in class.
- One question on bio-chemistry terminology and concepts.
- Three problems involving calculations chosen from the topics below:
- Diffusion equation, Diffusion Contant, and the Diffusion probability distribution
- Nernst Equation
- Stokes Equation
- Einstein relation
- Poisson-Boltzmann/ Debye screening length
- Viscosity/Reynolds number
- Boltzmann distribution/partition functions
- Entropic forces
- Osmotic force
- Reaction rates/Chemical equilibrium
- Scatchard plots
- Freely jointed chains
- Worm like chains
- Basic concepts and optics for Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy (FCS)