McClean: Joining The Lab
This page is meant to serve as a resource for new members joining the lab. Please utilize this page as an initial checklist of things to do and learn as you are settling in. If there is something missing that would be helpful to new lab members, ADD IT!
Things to Do
- Create an Openwetware account so that you can edit this (and other) pages in the McClean site. Learn how to edit pages by setting up your user profile (see: http://www.openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Getting_started_2). Add your name to the homepage for the McClean lab under "Lab Members". When you click on your name, it should link to your profile page.
- Request key card access to ECB3005, 3007, 3009 here: https://sharedlab.bme.wisc.edu/labaccess/
- Join Quartzy and join the "Megan N McClean's Lab" Group
- Quartzy is the system we will use to order supplies, keep a chemical inventory, etc
- Register for (and complete) chemical safety training:http://www2.fpm.wisc.edu/chemsafety/training.htm. Submit proof for course completion to Megan McClean (email is fine).
- Register for and complete the following biosafety classes at http://learnuw.wisc.edu. Send email confirmation of completion to M. McClean:
- Biosafety 101
- Occupational Health 102
- Biosafety 104
- Biosafety 201
- Hazard Communication with Globally Harmonized System
- Locate the fire extinguishers, eye washes, and safety showers in the lab spaces (ECB3005, 3007, 3009).
- Ask someone to give you a lab tour and generally go around opening drawers/cabinets to get an idea of where everything is. You can also browse Quartzy to familiarize yourself with supplies used in the lab.
Things to Know
- We do not currently have our own McClean lab group meeting, though this will probably change in the very near future as we grow in size.
- There is tea every day at 4pm (usually upstairs, but sometimes downstairs if there is a talk) with coffee, tea, and cookies. This is a good place to meet other members of the center.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this list. We are happy to have your input! Newbies, you MUST add to this list if you find things missing!
- People to talk to?
- Trainings to take?
- Things to know or do that are missing from this overview?
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
- Megan N McClean 14:01, 26 September 2011 (EDT)