Lidstrom: Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
Return to Protocols
- handy link: gel electrophoresis
- click the gel electrophoresis button on the left
Starting with an empty box
- Fill with TBE until it covers the gel holding tray.
- Add 40 uL of ethidium bromide if your gels don't already have it mixed into the liquefied agarose.
- If your buffer already has some ethidium bromide but it needs more, 20 uL is probably good.
- Load sample
- 1.7 uL of a PCR product is usually plenty
- Load ladder
- If using MassRuler, 4 uL is good for skinny lanes.
- Run @ 110 V for 20 min and check the gel.
- 40 min is pretty safe for 0.7 - 1% agarose gels
- Exposures should be < 0.5 seconds to minimize background emissions. If you need longer, you probably should have had more ethidium bromide.
- If you have a voltage source that will stop after a set amount of time, feel free to run your gel as you leave and image it in the morning. Diffusion of bands shouldn't be a big problem unless they are << 500 bp.
- Don't do this if you are going to cut & gel purify the band.
- You don't need much DNA. 50 ng should be plenty.