DNA Synthesis Companies
- Blue Heron Biotechnology, Inc.
- Advertised as 2-4 weeks, but teams have had problems getting sequences on time in the past.
- Codon Devices, Inc.
- DNA 2.0, Inc.
- CODA Genomics Synthetic Expression
Add more links here. Additional information would be useful.
Important people to contact
- Prof. Alexander van Oudenaarden MIT
- Emailed, we can meet up with him when he gets back from Woods Hole first week of July
- May have many of the genes we want already on plasmids
- Jeffrey Chabot
- Post Doc who wrote the PhD thesis on cyanobacteria
- We have his email address
- Prof. Susan Golden Texas A&M
- Is working on pretty much the same stuff we are looking at
- Have emailed
- Have talked to on phone-- see here
- Peter Weigele MIT
- Post Doc who works with cyanobacteria
- Have emailed correspondance (see Peng); can get PCC7942 strains
- Have contacted and obtained PCC7942 and PCC6803 (a glucose-digesting strain)
- Prof. Andrew Knoll Harvard OEB
- Worked with evolutionary cyanobacteria
- Called; gave references to other experts around the area
- Prof. Stjepko Golubic BU
- Prof. Knoll said he knew a lot about cyanobacteria
- Prof. Colleen Cavanaugh Harvard OEB
- Prof. Woodland Hastings Harvard OEB
- Corresponded with a Japanese lab group which works with cyanobacteria
- Specializes in circadian rhythms
Questions that we need to ask
- If we put a reporter downstream of kaiBC what happens to it
- It oscillates in cyanobacteria, but won't in E. coli b/c transcription isn't controlled
- What happens when we put a plasmid in cyanobacteria? Does it replicate?
- Only if it is based on an endogenous plasmid. Paper from 20 yrs back...
- There are endogenous plasmids (2)
- PCC7942 has homologous recombination
- Do we know what the sigma factor is in Kondo et al
- We can put in alot
- Possible ways for reporting if oscillation works
- Any other mechanisms?
- How bad is the codon bias problem / would we need to actually mutate parts of the genome to move to E. coli?
- Is there any feasible reporter we can have in E. coli?
- How to grow WH8102?
- Difference in circadian clock b/t PCC7942 and PCC6903?
- Growth conditions in liquid: use thiiosulfate? Hours light/dark? General streaking?
- Ask Professor Golden about the plasmids pAM1579 and pAM1303.
- Recognizing phosphorylation in e. coli; i.e. synchronization
- Article on synchronization