Hoatlin:BMB Seminar Series
Departmental Seminar Series for Sept 2006- June 2007, organized by Maureen and Ujwal. BMB seminars are held every Tuesday at noon in Vollum seminar room and speakers typically arrive on Monday. You may contribute to this page or the discussion for the page (see tab at top).
Editing on this wiki is easy with wiki edit instructions. If you have trouble, drop by and I can show you very quickly.
Procedure for Inviting BMB Speakers
- Please suggest names of 2-3 potential speakers you would like to invite, add the names and the link to contact information below your name. I will send out letters of invitation. Please indicate considerations for the timing of the visit (e.g., "I will be in China in September" or "please don't schedule for Fall term" or "here are some potential dates that are good for me" ). This helps manage the scheduling tasks and reduces email burden. This year speakers were invited late July-August. Next year invitations will start in May for Fall of 2007 and continue until schedule is full (goal = average 2 speakers per month).
- Some of you may like to send out your own invitation letters, feel free! Please cc Maureen/Ujwal with the invitation and status.
- When the invited speaker responds to our invitation, I will write back to them, immediately post the acceptance on the wiki, and introduce the speaker to Lisa via email. Lisa will narrow down on some open dates, present the dates to the OHSU host and settle on a mutually agreeable seminar date for the OHSU host and speaker. During this process Lisa will be in charge of the status.
- Once a date is OKed by speaker and host, a confirmed date will be posted by Lisa on the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Web site.
- After the date is confirmed, Lisa will contact the speaker and obtain the title/figure for the flyer, help with travel arrangements, book hotels, make dinner reservations and schedule and distribute itinerary. When the date is far in advance, Lisa will re-contact the speaker (and OHSU host) 3 months before the scheduled speaking date to finalize itinerary, travel, hotel, dinner plans.
- Please contribute to suggestions for the itinerary to avoid last-minute scramble and email avalanche. Each Speaker will have a section for those who would like to be included on the itinerary if possible. Please contribute directly to the wiki or email me or Lisa and we will post for you. Suggest people for your guest to see or put your name down to request a spot with someone else's speaker.
- The default arrangements are: accomodation at Heathman Hotel, dinner for four at Andina, catered lunch for 10 students/postdocs after the seminar. Please advise Lisa 2 weeks in advance if you prefer different arrangements for dinner.
Faculty Hosts and Speakers
- Haian Fu. Understanding how 14-3-3 proteins serve as regulatory elements in cell growth control. Date of visit: 9/19/06. Itinerary:
- Carol Prives- invite sent 6/29, awaiting response
- Xiao-fan Wang. Molecular mechanisms of TGF-ß signal transduction. Date of visit: 11/14/06. Itinerary:
- Karlene Cimprich- Genomic stability. accepted, Date of visit: 5/8/07.
- Hartmut "Hudel" Luecke. Structure-function investigation of integral membrane proteins. Invitation sent 7/18, accepted 7/26. Lisa sent him available dates 7/26. Lisa sent him available dates again 9/21.
- Gebhard F. X. Schertler (note: will be booked when he visits U.S.) G protein-coupled receptor activation and signalling. Date of visit January 25, 2007. Itinerary:
- considering how to get Jürgen Wess, Ph.D.
- E. Verdin Biology of reversible protein acetylation. Invitation sent 7/26, 8/6 would like to delay visit until next year.
- P. Bieniasz Host cell factors in HIV replication. Date of visit: 10/3/06. Itinerary:
- Ning Zheng Structural Biology of Ubiquitin-Protein Ligases. Date of visit: 12/12/06. Please consider for Itinerary: Maureen 18:53, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
- T. Kutateladze. Phosphatidyl inositol -mediated regulation; membrane protein targeting and chomatin structure. Date of visit: 3/13/07. Please consider for Itinerary : Maureen 19:00, 16 August 2006 (EDT)
- Andy Harris Biophysical, biochemical, and genetic analysis of gap junction channel permeation and gating. Date of visit: March 20
- Ron Kopito Degradation of misfolded proteins and its relationship to neurodegenerative diseases. Date of visit: 11/7/06.
- Linda Hicke Regulation and function of ubiquitination at the cell surface. Invitation sent 8/7. Declined, with regrets 8/9.
- Rick Morimoto Chaperone-assisted protein folding and regulation of the heat shock response. Date of Visit: March 6, 2007. Itinerary:
- Jeffrey Pessin Identification of insulin-mediated signaling cascades and regulation of intracellular GLUT4 vesicle trafficking/biogenesis. Date of visit: Tuesday, April 10, 2007. Itinerary:
- John Kuriyan Structural Biology of DNA Replication and Cellular Signal Transduction. See recent Cell paper on intracellular domains of EGF receptor. Date of visit: 5/15/07.
- G. Montelione Protein NMR, structural genomics, proteomics, structural bioinformatics Invited 7/26; declined, with regret, 7/26.
- N. Seidah Synthesis and processing of pro-hormones and pro-enzyme. Date of visit: 12/5/06.
- Dr. Ted Weinert Cell cycle checkpoints that arrest cell division after DNA damage. Date of Visit: Feb 27, 2007. Consider for itinerary: Maureen 19:01, 16 August 2006 (EDT).
- Andrew Chess, M.D. Understanding of the way the brain distinguishes among odors. Invitation sent 7/19, accepted 7/24, Lisa sent him available dates 7/24. Lisa sent him available dates again on 9/19. Lisa offered new dates on Nov 9. Dr Chess will get back to her as soon as he returns from his trip. Lisa offered dates for Nov 2007 to Dr Chess' assistant on Nov 30.
Back to Hoatlin Lab