Officer duties are assigned to postdocs, grad students, and advanced-level undergrads.
|Hazardous Waste||Ben Nyer||Train volunteers as needed: autoclaving biohazard waste, labeling all waste for pick-up, requesting pick-up from EH&S|
|Tissue Culture Media Prep||Daniel Vargas||Tissue culture FBS and pen/strep, CO2 incubator water pans, CO2 gas cylinders|
|Shipping & Receiving||Stefan Tekel||Train shipping/ receiving volunteers as needed, check consumables (micropipette tips, serological pipettes, kim wipes, tube racks), help update Trello and ordering spreadsheet|
|Safety||Rene Davis||SOP manual, first aid kit, sharps containers, lab-supplied PPE (coats, disposable gloves, autoclave gloves)|
|Chemicals & Lab Organization||Cassandra Barrett||media prep bay tidiness, chemical inventory updates, MSDS collection, fume hood, 37°C shaker-incubator|
Undergraduate volunteers are invited to work with researchers as apprentices or support basic lab operations. You must dedicate at least one day and two hours per week, every week, for a whole semester. Volunteers who demonstrate reliability, good technique, and good lab citizenship will be offered opportunities for research projects, either for course credit or a fellowship (e.g., FURI, SOLUR, SynBERC, etc.).
Review the full Haynes Lab Volunteer Policy page at http://openwetware.org/wiki/Haynes:Volunteer_Policy.
|SPRING CYCLE||SUMMER CYCLE||FALL CYCLE|
|Requests to join the lab are accepted. Please send requests to karmella dot haynes at asu. You will be asked to complete a Volunteer Interest Survey.||December 1 - January 17||May 1 - May 12||July 1 - August 31|
|If your responses are approved by the lab group, you will be invited to engage in an informal interview with ~3 current lab members.||December 1 - January 17||May 1 - May 12||July 1 - August 31|
|Complete ALL required Safety Training by this date. Notify Dr. Haynes via e-mail when all training is completed.||February 7||June 2||September 28|
|Request ISAAC access to ISTB4. Safety training is required before your ISAAC request is approved.||February 8||June 7||September 28|
|Volunteer cycle ends; continuation through the next cycle is welcome.||May 2||August 30||December 15|
- All lab members and volunteers must take the following courses
- Everyone should complete Compressed Gas to learn about general hazards, but you will only need to complete the Mentor Verification Checklist if you are invited to help with gas cylinders (rare case)
|Topic||Initial Training||In class or Online||Annual Refresher||In class or Online|
|1. Laboratory Safety||LABSAFE||In class||Laboratory Safety Refresher||Online|
|2. Fire Safety||Fire Safety - Initial||Online||Fire Safety Refresher||Online|
|3. Gas Cylinders||Compressed Gas - Under Pressure||Online||N/A||N/A|
|4. Biosafety & Bloodborne Pathogens||Biosafety & Bloodborne Pathogens Initial Training||Online||Biosafety & Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher Training||Online|
|5. Hazardous Waste||Hazardous Waste Management||Online||Hazardous Waste Management Refresher||Online|
|6. Synthetic DNA||Recombinant DNA Training (NIH)||Online||N/A||N/A|
|7. Autoclave||Autoclave training||Online||N/A||N/A|
|8. Haynes Lab Specific||Haynes lab tour||In-lab||Haynes lab meetings||In-lab|
In class training: Register at the EHS Training Website. Click Search Course Catalog/Register for Training. Click "Training Registration" on the EH&S Assistant page, enter your ASU ID, and select your name. Click "Select from all Available Courses," select the appropriate course at a date and time that work for you, and click "Click to Register for this Class." You should see a yellow page saying you are registered. Click "OK" and confirm that the desired course is listed there. You will also receive a confirmation email. When you attend class, do not forget to sign the instructor's attendance sheet, or your training will not be kept on record.
Registration errors: if you are blocked from registration, contact LMS Support at 480-727-7300 or gtb at asu dot edu.
Online training: To register for online training, go here. Scroll to the bottom and click "Enroll" next to the course you need to take. Make sure to enroll in the refresher course if you've already taken the class. After you enroll, go to blackboard and find the
course listed in your "Courses" module. These courses typically include some reading material (a powerpoint online) and a quiz. Read the material and take the 10-question quiz. These should not take longer than about 30 minutes.
All lab members are required to take annual refresher courses. Reminders will be sent by EHS. See above for registration instructions under Online training.
Check Your Training Status
- EHS Individual Training Record Look-up - Maintained by EH&S for courses you took through EH&S. Does not include special courses such as "Haynes Lab Specific."
- Haynes Lab Training History Spreadsheet - Email rene dot davis at asu dot edu if the google doc is not accurate or after you complete a training session
Request door access online using the secure system. You must have an ASURITE ID and password.
- Log in at http://isaacrequest.asu.edu/control.php (link will only work when connected to a campus network
- If working on a private or off-campus computer, you must establish a secure VPN connection. Download the VPN client "Cisco Anyconnect" the ASU My Apps page. Once you download and run Cisco Anyconnect, you will need to type "sslvpn.asu.edu" into the "connect to:" field. You can then use your ASURITE User ID and password to connect. You will now be able to access the ISAAC Request Form website and submit your ISAAC requests.
- Click the Request link in the left menu
- Select ISTB4 (Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 4)
- Select the rooms shown in the table below. Access to these doors will allow you to participate in Haynes Lab research & meetings.
- Read the guidelines and check the "I have read, understood and will comply with these guidelines." box.
- Click the [Add] button.
|☑||ISTB4||1st Floor Perimeter|
|☑||ISTB4||Conference Rooms (BHSE only)|
|☑||ISTB4||1st Floor Dock and LER|
|☑||ISTB4||2nd Floor LER Lab|
|☑||ISTB4||231||2nd Floor Wet Lab|
|☑||ISTB4||431 A2||4th Floor Autoclave (BHSE only)|
|☑||ISTB4||ISTB4 Entrance Group||BHSE|