This liquid medium is for general culture of the actinomycete Thermobifida fusca. In this recipe, cellobiose is the sole carbon source at 0.5%. Both the amount and type of carbon source may be varied; cellulose, CMC, glucose, and xylan are all acceptable sources.
For one liter liquid medium
- Macro Salts
- 1.5g NaCl
- 3.1g (NH)2SO4
- 9.1g Na2HPO4
- 0.9g KH2HPO4
- 0.2g Yeast Extract (optional)
- 5.0g Cellobiose
- 20ml [Microsalts]
- 10ml Biotin and Thiamine
- Add macrosalts to 750ml diH2O
- Heat as necessary.
- Adjust to 7.4 ± 0.2 pH
- Add additional ingredients
- Raise volume to 1L and cover
- Autoclave on liquid cycle for at least 30min.
Please feel free to post comments, questions, or improvements to this protocol. Happy to have your input!
- Remember that T. fusca is a thermophile; optimal Tgrowth is 55°C
Please sign your name to your note by adding '''*~~~~''': to the beginning of your tip.
Relevant papers and books
- Hägerdal BG, Ferchak JD, and Pye EK. . pmid:16345322.