Notes for July 14, 2010
Method (added July 15, 2010)
- Valerie Enriquez 11:54, 15 July 2010 (EDT): I just realized I should outline how I went through the list of articles that Bob had provided.
- 1. Find each article using ISI Web of Science or Google Scholar as linked through UNM Library system.
- 2. Find the appropriate dataset in ORNL DAAC as listed and open "Publications citing this data set" page.
- 3. Use the "find" function within my browser or Adobe Reader if the article was in .pdf format for mentions of the following:
- Repository name: either ORNL, ORNL DAAC, or Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I did not count the ORNL within the doi link, only mentions within the article text or citation in the references section.
- Project name: such as FLUXNET, BOREAS, NPP, etc.
- DOI or URL: the prefix "10.3334/ORNLDAAC/" or in the case of FLUXNET, a URL like http://daac.ornl.gov/FLUXNET.
- Author name: as found on the "Publications citing this data set" page or in the spreadsheet.
- 4. Enter the following information in the new spreadsheet:
- DOI or URL of article citing data
- Repository mention (y/n=1/0)
- Project name (y/n=1/0)
- DOI or URL (y/n=1/0)
- Is DOI or URL referencing an article or dataset? (Dataset/Article=1/0)
- Author name (y/n=1/0)
- Are Data Author and Article Author the same? (y/n=1/0)
- Full citation per ORNL DAAC recommendations (y/n=1/0)
- Location of Citation: I=Introduction, M=Method, R=Results, D=Discussion A=Acknowledgements, O=Other
- Text of sentence(s) in article making citation reference
- Bibliographic Citation of Data: 0 if absent
- 5. Repeat for each article
- Some articles are currently in press or otherwise not accessible via fulltext. I will need to ask Bob or the ORNL DAAC librarian for access.
- Even though the DOI is more or less right there in the recommended citation on the data page, it is not often referenced in the citation when it is added on the reference page. For example, this study clearly has the following citation:
- Helmlinger, M., W. Buermann, and F. Eckardt. 2005. SAFARI 2000 Surface Spectral Reflectance at Sua Pan, Botswana, Dry Season 2000. Data set. Available on-line [http://daac.ornl.gov/] from Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, U.S.A. doi:10.3334/ORNLDAAC/780
- However, this article cites the data author and repository name, but without adding the DOI.
- A lot of times, the dataset is not even mentioned in the reference section, but rather in the Introduction, Methods or Results section.
- At times, if the repository name was not mentioned, the author still referenced the project name (FLUXNET, BOREAS, NPP, etc.).
- A couple of articles had no clear mention of either repository name, author name, doi or anything identifying a dataset. I will also need to ask the ORNL DAAC librarian about this.
- Of course, I'm going to have to go through the sheet in a lot more detail and be more quantitative than "at times," "a lot of times," etc. before formulating my ideas and questions for the second draft of my paper, which will be drastically different from the first draft. Whereas the first draft covered my experience searching for citations of TreeBASE, Pangaea and ORNL DAAC, the second draft will focus more on ORNL DAAC.