Layout of the class
You will perform four series of experiments (called “modules”) over the course of the semester. The modules differ in length and in the ways you will be assessed. The experiments and your assignments are:
|Module||Topic||Assignment||% of Final Grade|
|1||Genome Engineering||written report||25|
|2||Signal Measurement||oral presentation||15|
|3||Expression Engineering||written report||25|
|4||Bio-material engineering||oral presentation + written text||15|
You will be working as pairs throughout the semester, but you will submit individual lab reports and give individual oral presentations.
In addition to the assignments listed above there will be
- Daily Lab Quizzes (5% of final grade)
- These are intended to refresh your memory about the experiment you are performing. They will not be hard and should take no more than 5 minutes at the beginning of lab.
- Homework Assignments (10% of final grade)
- These will vary considerably. You may be asked to perform a calculation, draw a conclusion, and/or make a figure using the data you have collected. You can work with your lab partner and friends on these assignments but you will hand in individual assignments.
- Laboratory Notebooks (5% of final grade)
- You will record your data on the white pages of a bound notebook. The yellow, duplicate pages will be collected and evaluated by the TA.
Late work will be penalized 1/3 of a letter grade for each day late and will not be accepted after a week.