Laboratory Jobs and Administrative Assignments
- plasmid prep buffers (P1, P2, N3, PE, EB, stocks), aliquot dNTPs (II)
- general lab ordering
- electrocompetent cells (I), water baths
- 4 refrigerator/cold room organization; freezer (-80/-20)
- LB (I), pH meters, aliquot dNTPs (I)
- journal club
- glass beads, toothpicks, used plate sterilization, glass/plastic washing sterilization, disposable sterilization
- safety officer, general lab organization/maintenance, sharps, cleaning general areas, order inventory, inventory MSDS sheets, organize library
- LB+amp plates (II)
- databases and software, secondary lab safety officer
- 10x sugar stocks (20% dextrose), 60% glycerol
- CE, cryogenic storage LN2 refill (I)
- -U plates, -UT plates (I)
- schedule II officer, general enzyme ordering and information (back up)
- electrocompetent cells (II), general cleaning of high speed centrifuge
- Quanta, MACSQuant
- LB+amp plates (I)
- radioactivity safety officer
- sodium acetate, TAE stocks, 10x drop out stocks for plates (II), -UT plates (II)
- general enzyme ordering and information
- LB (II), antibiotics
- lab wiki
- -T plates, YPD plates, YPD []
- sterile water, EDTA stocks, TC room water bath
- general enzyme ordering, TC Room (II)
- LB+amp plates (III)
- TC Room; cryogenic storage LN2 refill (II)
- amino acid stocks, 10x drop out stocks for plates (I)
- LC and fraction collector, inventory chemical waste bottles/containers (fume hood)
- YNB [], NINR, SOC
- computer administrator and databases
- Please make sure BEFORE you leave for a vacation that you check on stocks (or whatever is appropriate) for your lab job. Make sure you anticipate usage over the time you will be out of the lab and that there will be enough stocks, etc to last the lab before you return. If you are concerned about lab usage while you are gone, it is your responsibility to ask someone in the lab to monitor it for you and cover while you are away.
- General lab courtesy - if you use a whole sleeve of plates, make another. If you use a lot of a stock or finish it, make some more.
- Everyone should help aliquot electrocomp cells.
- Solution I and Solution II are now the responsibility of those who use them regularly. TBE is also the responsibility of those who are using it regularly.
How It Works
Each person is assigned a laboratory job (or set of jobs based on intensity of the assigned job) and an administrative role (indicated in italics). Please keep up with your assigned jobs. Note, that it is everyone's responsibility to load tips, load the dishwasher, and rinse out your glassware. Also, while general DO plates are made (-U, -T, and -UT) as common stocks, all other DO plates are made by the individual using them.