Going to make chitosan gel using procedure from this paper (Wan Ngah W.S., Endud C.S., Mayanar R. Removal of copper(II) ions from aqueous solution onto chitosan and cross-linked chitosan beads. Reactive & Functional Polymers. 2002. 50, 181-190.)
- take 2.00 grams of chitosan (LMW) and dissolve in 50 mL of 5% (v/v) HC2H3O2
- to make 5% HC2H3O2 take 2.5 mL HC2H3O2 and dilute with 47.5 mL H2O in 50 mL volumetric flask.
- mix until dissolved
- to neutralize acid, mix with 250 mL of 0.5 M NaOH
- in paper they sprayed the chitosan into the NaOH to make beads. since we have the pump set up we are going to mix the NaOH into the dissolved chitosan and then try to crosslink in pump set up.
- crosslink with 0.005 glutaraldehyde
- added 86 mL of NaOH to neutralize chitosan instead of 250 mL because pH was already 8.611
- needed to homogonize this chitosan gel because NaOH seemed to make a thicker gel with the dissolved chitosan so samples needed to be vortexed to combine
was not able to start making chitosan beads yet