To finish dual syringe pump set up and test to see if there is bead formation.
Set up for Syringe Pumps
- Leak formed in PEEK tubing/tygon insertion point potentially due to ethyl acetate eating away at the krazy glue holding the PEEK tubing in place.
- Also timed the droplets of PVA/gluteraldehyde as they traveled through the tygon and they seem to be traveling too fast (30 seconds to leave tygon).
- Rates have been switched for both syringe pumps.
- Red pump: 0.01 mL/min
- Grey pump: 0.02 mL/min
- Length was recalculated for these new rates.
0.01 mL/min * 5 min) = 3.14 * 0.00158 cm^2 * l
0.05 mL / (3.14 * 0.00158) = l
l = 10.078 cm
- Due to our previous calculation being off by a factor of x10 we increased the length to 101 cm instead for this second trial.
- Also used epoxy to connect PEEK tubing and tygon to prevent leaking. The epoxy should not dissolve with contact to anything we with are using.
Polymer beads forming in ethyl acetate
Rate of 0.01 mL/min and 0.02 mL/min is too slow. Need to use old rate (0.05 mL/min and 0.1 mL/min) and longer tubing (501 cm) to keep reaction inside for 5 minutes total.