- Synthesis of zein protein film without Bovine Serum Albumin(BSA) conjugated nanoparticles (NP's).
- 10 mL 90% ethanol solution was created by combining 9 mL ethanol and 1 mL distilled water in 10 mL graduated cylinder
- 1 g of zein protein was massed in 50 mL flask
- 0.24 mL of glycerol was pipetted into flask of zein
- 8.7 mL of ethanol in graduated cylinder was added to flask
- Solution in flask was stirred using stir bar
- 5 g of solution in flask was measured out in 9 cm diameter petri dish
- Petri dish was placed into oven for 24 hours
- Solution in Flask: 10% Zein (weight/volume) , 90% Ethanol (volume / volume) , 30% Glycerol (zein weight basis)
- Mass of Zein: .1 = mass of Zein / 10 mL solution
1 gram Zein
- Volume of Ethanol: .9 = volume of ethanol / 10 mL solution
9 mL Ethanol, 1 mL distilled Water
- Volume of Glycerol: .3 * 1 g Zein = .3 g Glycerol
Density of Glycerol : 1.261 g / cm^3
1.261 = . 3 g / volume of Glycerol
.24 mL Glycerol
- The glycerol was very viscous, which made the liquid transfer very difficult.
- The protein film was yellow and flexible.
- Overtime the protein film became more rigid and easy to tear apart.